Macintosh Clasisc

MacWiz

Registered
I have an Macintosh Classic 7.8Mhz and 2.5M Ram. 25MB HD. System 7.0

I have a few Qestions:

What is the newest OS i Can have on this thing (without manipulating with the hardware)

Second most important question, can i, and if o what is needed to get online with it?
i got modems, and a 10mbit connection that makes it possible to get online via Ethernet cable, but i dont have ethernet card on it.

3rd Question: did they ever make ethernet card to Macintosh Classic?

I would be F*ckin´ cool to surf with it, not fast but still cool!

that's worse than my 75 MHz mac!

i'm sorry, but i think you can only get a collectors item outta that... make it as good as it can... clean it up, and in the future it'll be a collector

It´s im mint condition, not a scratch:)

And i changed the clockbattry for the first time yesterday(!!!!!!!)
It had worked without any trouble since 1990 i think.. or was it 1991....?

a bit tricky, i could only losen up the screw to the case of the mashine, but i manage to stick an screwdriver into it an bend out the old battery and then whit a bit of magic i manage to install the new one.

Now it works even better than my iMac!
Simcity 1.4(black/white) is the coolest game ever made, and far better then 2000, 3000, Life, ant, zoo, earth, scandal and the rest of them if there is..

People who changed batteries on this model usaly dont do that again, it´s an nightmare.

(if u dont unscrew all thing first):p

MacWiz; I would check out www.apple-history.com if I were you. They'll give you a lot of information about your specific Mac. Perhaps that'll help..
3rd Question: did they ever make ethernet card to Macintosh Classic?
Was that technology invented back then?

But take good care of it no matter what you do. :) I've heard two horror-stories of what people have done with similar old Macs like that: One turned it into a fish-tank, another took out everything that was inside and used it to smoke pot.. :rolleyes:

Kris

yeah, i got an old mac SE. Starting to have some cooling-fan trouble now tho. Starts up faster than any computer ive ever seen and has a quality b&w screen probably about 9"!!

Its a bit much to ask it to run multi-finder, but it has tetris and claris works!

I think it's running system 6, i dont think it would stand a chance on the internet (text only). I doubt it even has modem dialling software!

ahh the good ole days!

I sold my Classic last month. It worked fine. Great little machine.

I had a machine with the "top spec": 4 MB RAM and 40MB hard disk. I ran System 7.1 on it, which I think is as far as you can go with the 68000 Macs.

You should be able to ethernet it, no problem. Farallon used to make cards. Check out an "old Mac" website for more (one that rings a bell is http://www.lowendmac.com).

As far as the net goes, I used Eudora for email, NewsHopper for Usenet and MacWeb for web surfing (text only!)

Actually, come to think of it, if you search for my name in Google groups in one of the basic Mac groups (comp.sys.mac... something or other, search for Benedict Poole), you'll find some postings I made about my setup there.

I finally stopped using the beast in 1998 when I got my rev B iMac -- my current machine still! -- but it was still working just fine when I fired it up prior to selling.

Hope that helps and enlightens!

Back