macintosh has ruined my life

help!!!!!!!! i am trying to boot up my computer and instead of a regular login option, it just says other and then gives me the option to put in my name and password. neither of the logins are working, so i can't even get into the computer to back it up!!!!!!!! asjfhadfns g

This may or may-not apply to your problem---but people are now reporting this ailment "below" that are well outside of the recall dates. ( I am not a tech--but savy enough to understand this ailment--& how it might apply to your eMac. ) Be Advised--There is a World-Wide Apple Recall on eMac & iMac-s made in 2004 for faulty capacitors on Logic Board. Apple ignored it at first, & doesn't rountinely point it out now--but the fix is now free, if your eMac or iMac falls into the right S/N numbers. This ailment starts out as seldom occuring hard-Crashing--but will eventually cause frequent Crashing on most software--especially anything using alot of Graphics. The link to Apple's own Forum on this eMac / iMac problem it's-self, is figity for a long time after you arrive till it fills in completely, and I'm on DSL. Link is ( http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=301339&tstart=15 ) Also, People with eMacs & iMacs outside the Recall S/n-s are reporting same condition & positive ID on defective Capacitors. None of the standard Tests will show any problem--everyone on that Forum reports that result, that has made positive ID of defective capacitors that can be viewed -via- Memory Door. jellison. Oregon

In my experience problems like these are hardware related.
It could be your hard disk failing.
What I usually do is put the hard disk in a PC and do a write zeros or low level format on the hard disk and see if the hard disk is usable after that and if it's not then a new hard disk is needed.
The reason I use a PC is because the hard disk manufacturers repair tools are supported mostly only on PC's.
I had a similar problem to yours with an Indigo Imac and it was the Seagate hard disk so I used the Seagate repair tools on a PC and it's ok now.
If you only have access to a mac you might try booting up from the OSX Install disks and formating your drive but it won't get the same results as using the hard disk manufacturers repair tools on a PC.

please look at the dates in the thread. i'm guessing the problem has either been long solved or the computer's been thrown out of a window or something.

Hmm, could be a failing drive. The whole issue may have been precipitated by faulty or poorly seated RAM. I recommend you copy off your critical files using another Mac and booting in Target mode, then re-install the system. Probably be a good time to upgrade to Tiger, which in its latest incarnation is generally faster and more stable than 10.2.8 or 10.3.9.

Or you could get a PC, I guess. They never have any problems. ;-)
I mean how stable do you need to be? I'm running 10.3.9 and everything is hunky dorie on my year old iBook

Yea, the computer is long gone. I never did get it working so well and was without a computer for like 6 months. It's crazy how dependent I was on a computer. But now I'm back with a mac book pro and nothing could be better. Thanks so much for all of the help and sorry I didn't respond sooner,

Matthew

Back