Macintosh Manager

bucko

Registered
Hi,
I am new to this and this is my first post. So hello everyone and please help. I have Macintosh Manager installed on G5 Xserve (I have more OS9 clients then OSX so I have to run it) Since Friday I am unable to log in, the error I am getting is :" A disk error occured".
I have tried everything I can think of. If you have any suggestions I welcome them...

You cannot login from the Mac Manager? Onto the XServe console? From one of the client machines? Sounds like you mean that you cannot login to the Xserve console, so hopefully I'm addressing the right issue.

This probably isn't the problem, but have you filled up your disk space? If not, try booting off an emergency disk, run disk utility, try to repair everything on the disk.

A second possibility is that the drive itself has an error -- disk utility should tell you this, somewhere near the bottom when it will say the "S.M.A.R.T." status of the drive. (SMART is a way for drives to report physical problems through software interfaces).

As a last resort, low-level format the drive and restore off of a recent backup. I've found this is the best reason to have 2 drives in an XServe -- RAID them together, and you're never down long!

Let me know if any of this helps.

If you have a G5 Xserve, then you can't run the Macintosh Manager application from the local console, as this was disabled in 10.3 server and newer. Are you attempting to run Mac Manager from another client, whilst you have AFP shares mounted on the Mac Manager server already? M M needs to mount the Mac Manager share as a specific user: mmuser, and can't do this if you've already mounted a share as someone else.

Back