Mackbook Pro VS Sony Camcorder

Mossmellow

Registered
Hello folks, I'm a newbie here and I hope to find help as I am a lover of Mac, but quite frustrated as well.

About a year ago I bought a Macbook 13" and was forever converted from the PC world. However, I was very disappointed when I found there was no firewire port.

I have a Sony MiniDV camcorder (DCR-HC52) that I got when my daughter was born 2 years ago. Since there was no way to import my video to my macbook, I have been piling up tapes for years now.

Good news - my husband's PC finally broke and we had the $ to buy a new computer. I lovingly gave him my macbook, and just bought the new macbook pro 13" for myself(specifically for the firewire).

I thought my worries were finally over.....completely wrong.

Now my Macbook Pro (and iMovie 09) won't recognize my camcorder. I bought the 4 pin to 9 pin firewire, and hooked it up.....nothing.

It won't even recognize there is a camera in finder or iMovie. When I go to click the import button it brings me to the in iSight built in video.

Am I completely doomed with trying to make this work? I don't want to keep sitting on these precious videos with no way to share them.

PLEASE HELP!!!!
-Marcie

Sorry all, I found a similar issue in another forum topic, I just didn't search for it correctly last post, but the other post still hasn't gotten answers either. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. :)

Thanks! :)

I don't have a Sony, but that should just WORK!
Try different cables. Are you using the iLink port on the camera? 6-pin and 4-pin ends, not 9?

:) You'd think it would work. I am using the 4 pin input into my camera, but it is a 9 pin coming out for my macbook pro. I am at a loss, frusterated and about to throw everything out the window.

Thanks for your reply.

What does system profiler (Blue Apple Menu > About this Mac > More Info) say under the firewire section?

OK, that means it doesn't recognize that the camera is attached. I can think of some possibilities - the MacBook Firewire port is broken, or, the cable is bad - or, - the camera isn't working - OR, you don't have playback turned on, on the camera.

Yeah, either a bad cable or a bad port. Bad cable=try a different one. Bad port=time to call Applecare for warranty repair.

Do you have another Firewire device to test the port?

Back