MacOS X as a NIS (YP) client with NFS mounted /home file system

dreael

Registered
Dear MacOS X users

I recently have become a proud owner of Apple's new "table lamp". ;-)

I'm using MacOS X in a heterogenous environment where a SuSE Linux 8.0 Professional box (standard i386 box) runs as my file server for all systems. I have stored all my productive data on it and there's also running a SCSI streamer tape backup every night. In addition this file server acts as my NIS master server for all other kind of UNIX and Linux as well as a Samba primary domain controller for all Windows systems.

I'd like to configure my iMac as a NIS client in such a way that I can graphically login with my NIS user account or remotely SSH login with my NIS account. In addition, I wish to mount both my exported file systems /home and /archive by NFS on boot time and configure the standard storage directory in all MacOS applications to the NFS home drive rather than the local file system.

Is this possible? Should this done on the command line level (editing some configuration files) or has Apple spent a special control panel for this task?

Any help are appreciated. :)

setting the machine to use NetInfo for logins requires you to change the lookup order of NetInfo. you can either do this by adding some files to /etc or by adding some directories to the NetInfo directory structure. read the lookupd man pages for more details. ask, if you need more specific instructions. also mounts are controlled by NetInfo as well, so you can accomplish all your needs this way. this can all be done even without the command line, since apple provided a GUI NetInfo manager, found in the /Applications/Utilities directory.

ok some book of mine says this (i summarized it)

1. Back-up ur NetInfo database (they always say that)

2. note down the mount point and the location of the remote folder you want to mount

3. create a plain text fil, something like this:

{
"opts" = ( "w" );
"dir" = ( "/<mountpoint>/" );
"name = ( "<remote_host>:<remote_dir_location>");
"type" = ( "bfs" );
}

<mountpoint> is the location you want tp mount ther remote filesystem on ur local HD

<remote_host> is the name of the remote computer (it could be an ip address too)

<remote_dir_location> is the location of that folder on the remore host

oh the (opts = 'w') thing is actually mounting the remote filesystem as write only you can use ( rw r w )

4. now at the command prompt...

nituil -create . /mounts/temp1
niload -r /mounts/temp1 . < mnt.txt

(assuming that u saved the above text file as mnt.txt

5. the open the NetInfo manageer and check in the /mounts/<remote_dir_location>

if everything is the same as in the text file GREAT

6. reboot ur machine

7. u can check if the remote file system is mounted by typing
mount
at the command prompt

yep thats all...

wow thats a lot .. i'm still learining :D

[
3. create a plain text fil, something like this:

not fil but file

{
"opts" = ( "w" );
"dir" = ( "/<mountpoint>/" );
"name = ( "<remote_host>:<remote_dir_location>");
"type" = ( "bfs" );
}

oh "type" = ( "nfs" ); [not bfs]

another typo :D

I've set up NIS and remotely mounted homedirs several times.

The information above is good stuff. The bresink.de site is really good for the NIS information! But there are some gotchas with NIS.

(I have yet to test these problems with 10.2, but I think the problems would still apply, as they are problems from the server side)

On the Mac side, only pull NIS maps that you intend to use. Also (as dumb as this sounds) only pull maps that the server offers. Under IRIX (Silicon Graphics) machines, you can control which maps get exported by editing a makefile. (Linux should be similar). If you export maps "passwd", "group", "hosts" and your Mac is looking for "passwd", "group", "hosts" and "netgroup".. the Mac will choke, and possibly not boot properly.

So, make sure that if you need a map on your mac, that the NIS server actually serves it.

What is the name of the makefile you need to
edit for IRIX machines. I am trying to get a
eMac running OS 10.1.5 to be a nis client for my server with is running IRIX 6.5.15. However, I can not get the eMac to bind to it.

Originally posted by cctryan
What is the name of the makefile you need to
edit for IRIX machines. I am trying to get a
eMac running OS 10.1.5 to be a nis client for my server with is running IRIX 6.5.15. However, I can not get the eMac to bind to it.

You want to edit the ypmake make file. (I think the ypmake is a script.)

Dig around there.

bob..

Back