MacOS X as Darwin OS

erikstonge

Registered
I want use only the Darwin OS of the Mac OS X, because, I want a pure UNIX without the slow Aqua Interface and I have too much file to backup to create a new UNIX partition, and too long to download.

I want to switch between MacOS X and Darwin. I've test to edit the /System/Library folder name, but the kernel panic because he don't find is kernel extentions.

If you have a clue to help me, please, just write it on this thread.

Originally posted by erikstonge
I want use only the Darwin OS of the Mac OS X, because, I want a pure UNIX without the slow Aqua Interface and I have too much file to backup to create a new UNIX partition, and too long to download.

I want to switch between MacOS X and Darwin. I've test to edit the /System/Library folder name, but the kernel panic because he don't find is kernel extentions.

If you have a clue to help me, please, just write it on this thread.
Just use xdarwin, it even comes with a graphical package installer now. Here's the address:

http://www.xdarwin.org

Also Darwin and OS X have a sweet package manager called fink. It will download and compile Darwin applications. Here's the address for that too:

http://fink.sourceforge.net/download/index.php

if you don t want aqua at all, then type '>console' at the login screen and hit enter.

you could also consider downloading the darwin installer from apple, and just use it, without the full OSX. you can find a more complete distro on sourceforge called GNU-darwin

I have alredy Xfree86 4.2.0 and XDarwin, but I want to eleminate some task, MacOS X have about 15 or 20 applications run when is on >console and XWindow are very slow graphicly, I want the power that Linux have for the speed of graphics.

Explain what you mean by "when is on >console and XWindow are very slow graphicly". If you mean Cron and stuff like that then those are necessary for the OS to function. One question, what windowmanager were you using under Darwin? If you had a slow interface with Afterstep or Windowmaker then I would just dual boot Linux and OS X or just run Linux. I know you said you have too many files to backup and what not, but it's the only decent solution to your problem.

As far as I understand it, you shouldn't just use >console at the login prompt. This *really* is just a framebuffer Terminal. Starting an X Server there doesn't do you much good. I guess the only way is to really have two partitions and install XDarwin on one and Mac OS X on the other partition. Mac OS X doesn't want you not to use the Aqua GUI.

You should put this thread to -> UNIX/Darwin.

that command + S takes you into single user mode which doesn't give you all the functionality (regarding NW and such like) as the "normal" boot-up mode gives you.

I'd agree with the previous poster who said to take this thread to Unix/Darwin. Over there you might find someone who knows all the boot-up files of Darwin and how to alter them not to load Aqua. I could see this being theoretically possible, as everything is started from init by use of various scripts. So its just a matter of finding the right ones :) (or at least that's my understanding of it :))

C

Back