MacOS X DNS

wjaiv

Registered
I am on day two of my new iBook 600MHz. It came from the factory with MacOS 9.2 installed and ready to go. I connected to my company's LAN, configured for DHCP, and hit the Internet. Everything seemed to be fine.

I then installed the MacOS X CD that came with the iBook. The installation was a breeze, but then I couldn't hit the Internet. Everywhere I went came back with "The specified server couldnot be found". I opened the Unix terminal and tried to ping IP addresses.. they worked fine. I tried to ping DNS names... no good.

I reconfigured the iBook for static address instead of DHCP - still no good. The iBook could ping our DNS servers (which belong to our ISP) with no problem.

I called Apple, and they were no help. Today I restored the original iBook with the Software Restore CD. That took the system back to virgin MacOS 9.2. Again, Internet and DNS worked fine. I again upgraded to MacOS X and DNS no longer worked.

I have restored again and am running MacOS 9.2. Can anyone help? I really want to run MacOS X. Thanks.

I've found a couple things OS X was picky about before DHCP would work for me.

1. have a valid domain from your ISP in the Search Domains box in your network control panel - even though it says this is optional.

2. Make sure your built-in ethernet is listed before your built-in modem under Active Network Ports (still in the network control panel). Also make sure modem isn't checked at all.

Back