MacOS X DNS

wjaiv

Registered
I am on day two of my new iBook 600MHz. It came from the factory with MacOS 9.2 installed and ready to go. I connected to my company's LAN, configured for DHCP, and hit the Internet. Everything seemed to be fine.

I then installed the MacOS X CD that came with the iBook. The installation was a breeze, but then I couldn't hit the Internet. Everywhere I went came back with "The specified server couldnot be found". I opened the Unix terminal and tried to ping IP addresses.. they worked fine. I tried to ping DNS names... no good.

I reconfigured the iBook for static address instead of DHCP - still no good. The iBook could ping our DNS servers (which belong to our ISP) with no problem.

I called Apple, and they were no help. Today I restored the original iBook with the Software Restore CD. That took the system back to virgin MacOS 9.2. Again, Internet and DNS worked fine. I again upgraded to MacOS X and DNS no longer worked.

I have restored again and am running MacOS 9.2. Can anyone help? I really want to run MacOS X. Thanks.

I did try the manual entry of all my IP information, including the two DNS servers. It still did not work.

Also, I tried creating a new location and manually entering all my ifnromation. No good either.

Finally, I went in an inactivated the modem (leaving just Built-In Ethernet as an Active Port). Still did not work.

I appreciate your ideas.

What kind of connection does your work have? This problem has happened to alot of people on cable networks, but I have not heard of anything else affecting it.

Empty all fields in your network preferences. Make sure everything is blank. Make sure your network preferences are set for a dhcp connection. Still leave all fields blank. Restart your computer. The DHCP server should automatically set the network fields for you. Open your network preferences and see what IP address the server assigned you. Is the IP address assigned to you one that falls in the alloted IP's for your work network? If not, then your computer is not releasing the connection to the router. I used to have this problem quite often with my cable modem. Although my cable modem was talking to the network just fine, I could not get my mac through the cable modem. I would always see the IP adress of the cable modem. (This really happened alot with 3com modems) I know this may not be a fix, but it might help you diagnose the problem. Since I got rid of the 3com modem and upgraded to 10.1.1, I rarely have a problem. Every once in a blue moon I have to restart my computer because the DHCP server does not correctly refresh my address and my connection locks up, but that is because of my cable service and not my computer.

Good Luck and let me know how things go:)
SA

Back