MacOS X - MacOS 9 connection drops out

subspawn

Registered
Hi, recently I bought a new iMac with MacOS X to replace my old iMac with MacOS 9. I still keep my data on a G4 also with MacOS 9.

I've set up networking:
the G4 shares all the files for my work over TCP/IP appletalk
The iMac MacOS X connects to the share of G4 perfectly.
But after a few hours the connection simply disappears from the desktop and programs that rely on the connection crash.
If I want to open the connection again I have a 50-50 chance it will work again. The other times I have to reboot the iMac before I can connect again.

A rather strange problem I think, maybe there's some kind of max. connection time ? But I couldn't find any setting proposing this.

Still nobody any idea ?

I'm told it also happens when connecting to SMB shares, maybe this is a common issue ? Any solutions for it ?

Hi there

We've had this problem on our network. A couple of OSX clients have to mount an OS9 server to access a data file for an application that runs in Classic on the OSX machines. The mounted volume keeps getting dropped.

About a year ago this was happening all the time - every day they would suffer this several times at least. We tried all sorts of things - making sure energy saver was off on all machines, trying different ways of connecting to the volume (Go>Connect to Server then tried Go>Network to see if that was better), checked that OS9 wasn't set to go to sleep....

None of this made a difference. Then OS 10.3.3 was released, we updated the two OSX clients, and it made a difference. I wouldn't say it cured it, but it was a huge improvement - perhaps one problem a month rather than several a day.

But now the problem is back!!! We have one client on OS 10.3.3, the other is now on 10.3.8, and the server is running OS 9.2.2 as it always was. Both clients lose the mounted volume.

I have disabled as many extensions on the server as possible in case something on there could be upsetting things.

I am trying to get a solution to this - if I pick up any tips that solve it I'll let you know.

Good luck

fenderman

Hi subspawn, some news on our efforts so far. I checked the OS9 server recently and found that even with the Energy Saver control panel unchecked in Extension Manager the server was napping!

So I reactivated the Energy Saver Control Panel and double checked the settings - everything was set to Never. Very strange. Anyway, I did notice that the check boxes for "separate timings" were not checked so I checked them and set them to never.

Setting this to never for all three options may have helped - we got through two days before the connection was lost. Better, but still a drag. I should point out that we are also now making the connection via the Apple Menu in the Classic menu on the OSX machines - just like you would connect in pre OSX days (Apple Menu, Chooser, Appleshare, select machine..). Don't know if this has helped rather than connecting from the OSX finder.

If we get this sorted out for good I'll let you know.

fenderman

Back