MacOS X wont install GRIN!

MacFreak

Chic Not Geek
I just format hard drive and set 3 partitions. I installed 9.1 MacOS on first partition. Then I tried to reboot to macos X CD 10.0.3 no problem. I started to install MacOS X system on second partition. but I get message said:

To use your classic Mac 9 Applications. You must have MacOS 9.1 installed on your computer. The installer couldn't not find Mac 9.1 installed on any of your volumes. you will need to upgrade to Mac OS 9.1 to use your classic application. you can do this after install MacOS X.

What the heck! I already installed 9.0 from CD and also download 9.1 from apple and upgrade it. :confused:

So I have to reboot in to classic 9.1 by press option. I got odd two icon. (->) and (arrow circle) I didnt understand so I reset and got blink question mark. So I have to open logic board to reset the pram. It come back to 9.1 again. I tried to figure it out why MacOS X cannot see volumes that I already partition into three. Huh?

I decide to format everything agian.. Still same problem ARGHHHH!

I download startup disk 9.2.1 and reboot to MacOS X and still wont able to install it GRIN!:mad:

Originally posted by MacFreak
To use your classic Mac 9 Applications. You must have MacOS 9.1 installed on your computer. The installer couldn't not find Mac 9.1 installed on any of your volumes. you will need to upgrade to Mac OS 9.1 to use your classic application. you can do this after install MacOS X.

Just ignore this until after you've installed X. The installer will complain if you don't have a 9 system folder on the same partition as X.

To get booting again, just hold option as you boot up, and you'll get a choice of system folders to boot from. This should find your 9 system on the first partition.

Once you've installed X, you can go to the Classic pref pane and tell it to
use the system folder on the first partition. However, if you plan on dual-booting into X and 9, and if you have the disk space, I'd install a minimal system folder on your X partition for Classic. That way you can have your first partition set up with all the extensions you want for use while booted into 9, but you have a minimal partition for classic.

Well..
I follow everything what you said.

I took picture of this and lets see what you think..

failinstallmacosx.jpg

It said that I need to install 9.1. HUH? I already have it there!

novolumehd.jpg

No hard drives on list! I have two hard drives. One full parition and other hard drive have three partitions.

restartoption.jpg

So I restart and press option while startup.

nothing.jpg

Nothing?!?!?!?

So I reset logic board again to back normal to 9.1 system classic. I am stuck

Let me know what you think

Try rebooting with the CD that came with your system (boot into Mac OS 9)
and run disk first aid. Clearly, something has happened to your disk and it
needs to be repaired. Also, once you get your disk repaired and mounted on the desktop, double click on the system folder to ensure that it's "blessed"
(the official term to mean that the system recognizes this folder as a valid
Mac OS 9 system folder).

If you are not able to repair the disk (with disk first aid, Norton, Drive 10,
Tech Tool Pro, DiskWarrior, ...), then your only option may be to reformat the drive and start over.

Hope you can get the disk working...

Sounds stupid, but did you format your drive in HFS Plus, or another method?

What I did is:

startup.jpg

It running on 9.1 Mac work fine if I reset logic board. Anyway, you noticed that I have three paritions on desktop. It shows then I use startup disk and selected CD 9.0 system.

install9.jpg

I startup with CD press C too.. It show no volume on desktop? Also It wont appeared on disk tool. It wont able to let me mount them. ARGH

Yes.. I already setup HFS+ Its AGP Dual 500mhz still no luck! I used less than 5 GB for system and of course I used first parition for 9 system. sigh.. umm... Any luck?:(

Ok..
I sold some stuff like PCI-ATA and others. I took some and save for new G5 coming. This specs are old. I have not update it yet. It's almost bare system

Here the Specs of G4:

G4 400MHZ (Current using Dual 500mhz)
578mb
20GB (three paritions)
13GB (Full Paritiion)
Nothing on PCI
DVD-ROM

Anyway, I took out the Sonnet Dual 500mhz and put old Apple G4 400mhz back. I took 13GB HD out of G4 Tower. It's still same problem. Any suggest for me to format hard drive? What program that might help?

PS. (Testuser) I am sorry and I resize the images. It should be better now.

After living with a Mac clone for 5 years, with non-standard CD and disk drivers, I have a new policy to never format a disk with anything other than Apple's software.

As for partitions, there's a reaonable amount of debate as to the value of multiple partitions for single disk systems, so your decision really comes down to whether you plan on booting into Mac OS 9 on a regular basis. If you really
plan on being Mac OS X only (with Classic), then don't partition the drive.

If you plan on booting into both 9 and X, then it may be worth it to have a second partition for 9, so that you can have separate System Folders for Booting-into-9 and Classic (as Classic only needs a minimal set of extensions).

I actually planned not to format this hard drive. but I sold to my G4 to my friend. That's why I want to install fresh system 9 and X on two partitions. What is your suggest for me to use program to format the hard drive.

HAve you tried just using one partition and installing os9 and osx on it? It seems like you are having trouble with these partitioning schemes. I recoment trying something simple and then going to what you eventually want - separate partitions for each system.

Your G4 should be able to handel booting from most partitioning schemes, so I think its reasonable to assume that something is happening when you partition.

BTW, here's how to reset your PRAM without messing with the logic board (what do you do when you do it this way, anyway?):

1)shut down the computer.
2) press the power button to turn the computer on. You will hear the computer's startup sound.
3) Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
4) Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
5) Release the keys.
I took this information directly from apple's knowledge base, so ya know its good ;-)

Good luck, hope you get this all figured out, remember to call apple before you toss it out the window ;-)

I already bootup with CD System 9. Startup Disk couldnt see volumes of hard drive. How am I able to format it? I recalled that I used disk tool to format but it cause everything F@@Ked up.. Any other suggest?

I start to noticed that hardware is having problem. For example I reset the logic board and press option it show two startup X and 9.x I click on X it run fine then I used startup disk to make select 9.x. I restart the computer and it show question marker again. So I have to reset the logic board again. I press power on. It show up 9.x fine. Then I used startup disk to select MacOS X and restart it. Then show up question marker again. I took battery out and zap pram several times. I leave it for 10 mins and put battery back. Then I start the computer on again. No luck. I tried to use CD by reset logic then press option and able to see X, 9.x and CD 9.1. Thats odd.. I am going to take this G4 to shop motherF*$%(*&$%()*&@#$

Thanks for your helps

I just found out that EIDE cable is bad! I replaced new one and its work perfectly! How could I forgot about the cable. So thanks for our times helped me.

Have a great day!

Back