macosx 10.1.2 won't talk to pc's

Tais

Registered
Hello, my computer is the only mac at work, and no one here can figure out how to share files between my mac and everybody else's pc, and also how to print to a network printer. The network is only working on my computer to access the internet. I have MacOsX 10.1.2, can anyone help me?

Before version 10.2.0, Mac OS X did have a windows network client but it was not really presented to the user as a feature, or even well documented. It used the Samba client to connect to a windows server, but because no samba browser had been included you had to actually know the address of the system you wanted to connect to.

You can connect onto a Windows server in 10.1.x by doing this:
- In finder, choose Go -> Connect to server.
- Enter the address like this:
smb://1.2.3.4/sharename
where 1.2.3.4 is you put in the IP address of the server.
You can also connect using workgroup and computer name, in a similar way.

Of course, all of this was automated with the introduction of 10.2. In the meantime, what you want to install is the Samba sharing package (which allows 10.1 to act as a Windows share) and some kind of Samba/Windows network browser ... there were a few of these around before 10.2 was released. You can probably find what you want on Version-Tracker or on Apple's Mac OS X downloads page.

On our PC server, I've been connecting just fine and sharing files, using Outlook, etc. (although the Outlook version for Mac doesn't have all the bells and whistles). However, my problem is internet browsing with IE and getting through our firewall client without unexpected application shutdown regularly occuring. Any thoughts?

We could probably use a more detailed description of what is going wrong, Middien. Specify what type of network you have set up. Particularly, which machine is having the problems and what tends to trigger the problem.

I have a similar problem with 10.2.6. I have an iBook and a Toshiba laptop, both on a wireless network. When I attempt to connect with the Apple-K, and type in workgroup, usrname, password (that i previously identified in the windows), then click "ok" the little connection status window comes up reading "An error has occured (error = -50).

Back