MacOSX and Gnome via VNC

Straylight23

Registered
Hi all,

i'm just building and installing the gnome-package via fink. Does anyone know if it is possible to run gnome in a Xvnc-window? I think of logging into my own machine with xvnc and user >console and then start gnome. Possible or not? Any screenshots?

cu:Stray

I'm not exactly sure what you want to do here. You just want to have a gnome desktop on your system?

Or do you want to share your OS X system's gnome desktop to remote computers using Xvnc?

You can run Gnome actually within OS X, using the OS X natvive port of XFree86. I've had gnome running rootless with OS X for about a month now.

You can also share your gnome desktop over a network using Xvnc. You must have XFree86 installed first, then install the Xvnc package. Just type vncserver at the shell after you have Xvnc installed and it will start a vnc server that you can access over the net.

Well, i'd like to run XFree4.1+gnome in a window on MacOSX.
What i'm stuck at right now is the following:

I build XFree4.1 from scratch and it installed fine. Then i installed fink 0.2.2, fine. Via fink i installed the complete gnome package. Worked well. But, how do i start XWindows with Gnome?

Thanks for any help ;-)

cu:Stray

Back