macosx as vpn server?

filmadscientist

Registered
hi,
I was wondering if anyone knows of any software to set up a normal macosx box as vpn server for other macs/pcs to connect to. I am thinking of someting similar as can be found in the win world with terminal services for example.
I am looking for a way to basically connect external macs/pcs to a LAN.
I tried SAMBA which works fine internally but as soon as I try to connect form a win box from outside the LAN I can't reach my shares.

Any help would b welcome.

mac os x server has a vpn server in it. I have also had a look around for such a thing with no luck so far...

I looked at VPN tracker but this is client software. I was looking more for server software which runs on the server I am connecting to.
Any ideas about this?

Ok, my bad. So you are looking for the server to terminate VPN connections, and your other clients need to VPN into that. Correct? What type of VPN software is running on the clients? I don't know how vpntracker is coded, but it may still be possible that VPN Tracker could do the job. If it acts like a normal VPN Gateway, you should be able to connect from your hosts to the VPN server (but that's a guess).

see the problem is that I don't have any software on my server yet ( macosx box). So I cant really say what kind of software I will use to connect to it.

My problem started when I was trying to connect to this macosx box from outside the LAN with windows boxes. For some reason I can't "map a drive" as they call it to the macosx box. So I thought I might want to do it properly from the start and establish some kind of secure LAN to LAN connection. So VPN came into my mind.
And now I don't know how to get server software onto the box I am trying to connect to. I know that macosx server comes with ipsec support but I dont know what they mean by that as such. ( like is it VPN server software or just that it supports connections through ipsec, which is a vpn protocol as far as I know or similar).

So there we go......

You're probably best off going with a VPN vendor, and have that do the encryption. I can't recommend any due to the fact that I work for one, and my opinion will be completely biased

I just found another IPSec client on the Mac. It's VaporSec, and it works pretty good. I've only tried out the client, but they also have a server piece too. Check it out, http://www.afp548.com.

Only thing is it doesn't have xauth support.

Back