Macosx.com Chat client 1.0.4 released

Captain Code

Staff member
Mod
I have released the latest version of our IRC chat client for the Macworld Expo Keynote next week on January 6th.

You can download it here or look for it on MacUpdate or VersionTracker.

New features include improved localization for Greek, Norwegian and Dutch languages.
Removal of nick registration because it didn't work with our server anyways.

I downloaded it, and installed it... upon launch it gave me two dialog boxes asking for a nickname... It then crashed and died when i tried to connect...

Okay... weird,

I go and delete it, and install another one (install after downloading a new copy)... This one doesnt ask for a nickname, but never connects to a server.

Just wondering if thats like that for everyone due to a IRC server down or something...

It would be nice to have people come in during the Keynote

Alex, I don't know why the window is coming up twice yet, but once I put the nickname in both windows it worked fine for me. Please post the crash log which should appear in the system.log which you can open with the console application in /Applications/Utilities and select Open System Log from the File menu.

Also if you click on the Logs toolbar item, you should have something listed under the CrashReporter item listed as MacOSX.com Chat Client.crash.log

MacMan

You haven't been in that room today, at least not with the name MacMan.

The client starts, then hangs for me. :/

->

connecting to irc.choopa.net...
operation timed out.

It's the server. I can't connect to it even with another client.
The IRC part of the program hasn't changed since the last release, so if it worked last time it should work this time.

And it connects to irc.choopa.net, Bobw? Doesn't here. And I can't connect to the server using other IRC clients, either. Might be a DNS problem on their side? :/

To everyone having problems:

The connection issues seem to be the IRC server. Sometimes it will connect right away and sometimes it will take a while, and others it will time out. I would suggest you keep trying to connect and it should eventually work.

I will fix the problem about the app beachballing. This isn't that the app is hung, just that it's waiting for the connection to the server, but it's not happening in a separate thread from the UI. This will be fixed pretty soon but probably not before the Macworld chat.

I've uploaded a new version of the client with 6 servers to choose from. You can choose the server in the Preferences.

I also fixed the nick choose window coming up twice.

You'll have to redownload 1.0.4 because I didn't release a new version, just updated the same one.

Back