macosx.com hosting moved to acunett - rant

agh98

Registered
I was unpleasantly suprised to come home and learn that my macosx.com web/email hosting account has been "acquired" by acunett. Now, I can no longer login to administer my domain (the link reported in the email is broken) and there are no details provided as to whether the pricing/service will remain the same.

How could this change be instituted with no advanced warning to customers. I know nothing about acunett and need to find an inexpensive but RELIABLE (i.e., won't be acquired or closed by another service) hosting service.

Can anyone offer any solid recommendations?
Thanks!

Yes, I realize that but we were given no advance notice. Now, will the price be the same, will the hosting services be the same? NO answers online or in the email we received.
I signed up with macosx.com because I belived in supporting the mac centric community and thought it would be a good service, based on the site and spirit of the forums. This new provider? just another provider who I know nothing about, who now has access to my personal data as it flows in/out of their servers.

agh98, I sent out an email prior to the email by AcuNett to the same list which covered all your questions. YES, packages and pricing are the same. Those with active accounts remained active. This was KEY to the migration. Everything stays the same, minus those with subdomains of macosx.com must migrate off of them by November 1, 2006. (notice thats 12 months away).

Here is the email...

The management of our web hosting services has put a great burden on our available resources, both in man power and financially. This has taken away from those resources available to develop and manage our web site. We are pleased to announce that we have transitioned all our web hosting services to a provider who's primary business is web hosting and they will be able to service you from now and into the future.

We have already silently discontinued sales of web hosting services. Those of you with subdomains of any of our domains, macosx.com, macsrule.com or other are being asked to migrate away from those names to another domain of your choice. To ease your transition to a new domain name, we will continue to allow AcuNett to manage those subdomains in our DNS database through November 1, 2006. Those of you with your own domains already will be migrated over and will be contacted by AcuNett to change your nameservers associated with your domain.

The aim of this transition is to provide zero downtime for everyone with a smooth transition.

Macosx.com will continue to service macosx.com mail account customers and those accounts will not change or be discontinued.

PLEASE NOTE: AcuNett will be contacting each of you soon in regards to your account status and what steps need to be made to finalize your migration to their services. Those of you with active and paid hosting will continue through your current hosting period. Those of you with active, but expired hosting accounts will be allowed to renew at our rates prior to them being discontinued. You will be allowed 30 days to establish billing with AcuNett before your service will be disabled.

All support questions regarding your hosting service need to be addressed directly to: http://support.acunett.com

We thank you each for your patronage and know that AcuNett will provide the best service to you, their customer.

Back