MacOSX newbie - Networking to XP

Captain Sulu

Registered
Hi, I've got a desk top PC running XPHome and I recently bought a G3 700Mhz ibook running MacOS 10.1.4 second hand. I would like to manually configure it to access our home LAN using these settings.....

PC
225.225.225.0 (Subnet)

ibook
225.225.225.0 (Subnet)

Workgroup name on the PC is MSHome.

Now, I've had a poke around on MacOSX's networking in system preferences but don't know where to go to manually configure this system to talk to windows... That's the first problem.

Also, is there a way of enabling DHCP on the ibook to get this job done automatically? Although, I must say that I prefer the manual way of doing things so I know exactly what's going on...

Thanx in advance of any responses :D

13 days with a mac and counting...

Chris

Captain Sulu said:
I recently bought a G3 700Mhz ibook running MacOS 10.1.4 second hand.

Hi Chris,

With 10.1, networking (specially with Windows) wasn't completed yet. If you can upgrade to 10.2 (or 10.3), you should have no problems setting your Mac up to talk with Windows systems (including setting up a workgroup name and all).

If moving things around is needed now, you should be able to set up 10.1 as an FTP server for Windows to access.

Okay (from memory as I don't have 10.1 on any systems now), under the Sharing preferences there should be a file sharing tab. Clicking on the tab should show you a number of things, file sharing being one and FTP sharing another. For the FTP, you either click "start" or a check box to enable it.

Sorry for being vague.

All and all, 10.2 or 10.3 would be a very good upgrade for your system.

Best of luck

You'd be much happier with the speed improvements with either 10.2 or 10.3. And, networking with your PC would just be a couple of clicks.. I'd recommend upgrading to Panther.

P.S. Welcome to the forum.

Hello,

I've got a WindowsXP Pro machine and an older G3 running Panther 10.3 and while I can get the basic Windows networking setup from the MAC side to work, and the FTP server... I'm wondering what the best way to get access to non-standard areas of the MAC would be.

So far using SSH has been my only option but I'm hoping to find something a little more robust or GUI drang-n-droppish...

I need to copy LARGE video files between machines for editing. These large files live on external volumes. So far I have been unable to format these external drives in any format that allows me to simply plug them in to either the MAC or PC and be readable by both. FAT32 is the only system where I've read that it will absolutley work, but I have files that are over 10GB in size so that's not an option.

Can anyone make any suggestions whether they be from a networking standpoint or a filesystem option I'm missing? I thought 10.3 could READ NTFS but any time I but when I plug the firewire drive formated to NTFS into the Panther 10.3 box it wants to format it.

??? :)

-Kevin

After spending quite alot of time trying to get 10.1.x to network with Windows (98, ME, 2KPro, XP Home, XP Pro), I'd strongly suggest upgrading to Jaguar or Panther. Even at $100, just the savings in head aches are worth it...but like other's have said, you'll also get a nice speed increase out of it not to mention alot more usability and features (better finder, Safari, etc.). BTW, XP Home isn't a peach when it comes to networking either...Pro is alot better.

Are you talking about sharing you internet connection or setting up a file sharing system between the two? Do you already have a router in place?

It's been ages since I did anything major under 10.1.x, but to change the workgroup name (default is WORKGROUP) in 10.2 you do the following:

1. Open Directory Access (/Applications/Utilities/).
2. Click the padlock to authenticate as an Admin user.
3. Select SMB from the Services list.
4. Click Configure.
5. Select the name of the workgroup from the list, or type the name of the workgroup you wish to create.
6. Click OK.
7. Click Apply.
8. Quit Directory Access.

Back