MacOsX password

hdekort

Registered
After reinstalling MacOsX I can't login anymore; the system doesn't accept my username and password anymore?
How can I make a new password?

I believe your password is case-sensitive...you could try that (I believe the short name has to be lowercase, with no spaces). I'm not sure about this, but I think you can use either your short name or your full name to log in under. But I would try several permutations with upper-case, lower-case, and initial caps. I think you're in trouble if you can't get authenticated though. With most Unix-like OSes, your only other option is a reinstall: there's no obvious way to back-door into the system without giving a valid password--which is a good thing!

This is a bug ... definitely ... I did enter a last and first name and did enter a pass....when asked to logon there was no such user ... whoooa.
moreover I did setup my keyboard as a swiss french and it did not considered that either......

I had to format everything (hard disk) because, even after having relaunched os9 and deleted all the MacosX related stuff it did not to reinitialize a user...

Bit late but next time try 'root' with the same password. Also you can 'backdoor' the system, you need to boot darwin off of a floppy or whatever and mount the 'hosed' filesystem and remove the root password. Then login as root without a password.

When this happened to me I did some snooping.

I finally decided to just remove OS X & re-install.
If you attempt to delete all of OS X PB files while running OS 9 you will still have 300-450MB of "invisible files" left. I had to erase my partition and re-instal the Public Beta and start over.

There is probably a better way, but none listed worked for me... it was erase the partition or not be able to log in.

B,

The first time one logs in after set up, the keyboard used is the US one, even though you had set up another keyboard as the default one during set up.

So you should type your password using the maping of the US keyboard. I hope your password does not include accents since it is going to be a little harder to enter the PW correctly !

Once you successfuly access Mac OS X as root, go into the preferences and change the keyboard to the Swiss one and the next time you log in, you should be fine.

Originally posted by brianmiller
If you attempt to delete all of OS X PB files while running OS 9 you will still have 300-450MB of "invisible files" left. I had to erase my partition and re-instal the Public Beta and start over...
Instead of reformatting, you could use ResEdit in OS 9 to open the hidden files and set them to visible, then drag them to the Trash, then reinstall the Public Beta. Worked for me.
-b

Back