MacOSX Server and Windows password problem

AlanCE

Registered
I have a new OS X Server setup running 10.1.1, all patched up with nowhere to go. It serves up files for Macs flawlessly as you might expect, but every single Windows client which tries to connect ends up getting a bad password error. All of the passwords are 8 characters or less, some alpha numeric, some just alpha, but all are basic everyday passwords.

Can anyone think of any reason why all of the Windoze machines would be getting this "Microsoft Networking: The password is incorrect. Try again." error?

On setup did you remember to check "Enable Authentication Manager"? If you didn't you need enable it and then change all windows users passwords. This creates the equivalent encryption files that windows requires.

Well, I gave up on that server as hopelessly misconfigured and reinstalled the OS and all that. Now the Windows users' passwords are fine, but windows 98 boxes are very hit & miss in their ability to see the server. Our network is two class Cs and divided into several subnets. When I'm on a 98 machine in the same subnet as the server, I can see the server through network neighborhood. But if I'm on a machine on another subnet, I have to locate the servrer through Find -> Computer. This only works about 25% of the time though.
I'm about ready to install a windows 2000 server for this file serving job, as much as I hate to put more M$ crap on my network.

Are you running WINS on another box or the OS X Server?

If no that is your problem. Network Neighborhood will not work across subnets without a WINS server.

Please advise

On setup did you remember to check "Enable Authentication Manager"? If you didn't you need enable it and then change all windows users passwords. This creates the equivalent encryption files that windows requires.

Ok ! And do you know how to do this after the installation ?

// kimmo

Originally posted by Douglas
Are you running WINS on another box or the OS X Server?

Thanks for the tip. No we are not running WINNS anywhere, but that hasn't been a problem for windows 98 machines seeing NT4 servers across the subnets.

I tried enabling it on the Mac OS X server but it did not help. Is there a way to make our NT4 domain server "aware" of the Mac OS X server running WINNS service? I couldn't find anything. I suppose I'll just install wins on the NT4 box and see if it can help the users on Win98 see the X machine.

Thanks for the tip to enable Authentication Manager. Now it works fine me !

Had to reinstall the server thuogh. I tried to start the utility "migration tool"
(dont remember what it's called exactely) it's located in the Applications ->Utility folder in 10.1 server. When launched, the screen turn all blue !
Nothing helped to ged rid of strange problem, so I had to reinstall the whole server...

// kimmo

Okay, the users on the Mac OS X server have to have the EXACT SAME usernames and passwords as the users listed on our NT4 domain server. If not, the server isn't found when searching in any way from Win98, but 2000 seemed to be able to still find and allow you to enter the different username and password required to login.

Back