MacPro not recognizing eSATA drive

MrLatte23

Registered
Computer recognizes the PCI-Express card in Slot 4 (Slot 1: NVIDIA, Slot 2: Blackmagic intensity Pro, slot 3: empty) in "About this Mac" but nothing happens when plugging and powering up the connected HD. Tried every driver on manufacturer's website as well as provided CD but still no mention of the HD anywhere. HD works fine with FW800, FW400 & USB but nothing with new eSATA card. Vendor tech support is communicating with me on it but we're getting no results with the drivers their offering.

First time I plugged in the card a PCI card manager window opened showing that the card was not running at full capacity in slot 3 (4X) so I moved it over to slot 4 (8X) and got no window or warning that it was under performing. Other than that I'm about to remove the potential POS and return for a more costly, more familiar brand (Sonnett). Tried two cables, each of the four ports on the card, reseating, rebooting, redrivering, still no results. Only have one eSATA HD to test with.

Anyone with experience with eSATA drives, PCIx cards have any thoughts. My eventual goal is to connect a RAID thru a port multiplier for HD video and compositing. All eSATA gear purchased from same vendor. Thanks.

-MacPro 2 X 2.66 Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 5 GB Ram OS X 10.4.10 (soon to be OS X.5).
-Silicon Image 3124 8X PCI Express 4 (external) port eSATA card.
-Cooldrives Quad interface enclosure with a 750 GB Seagate 7200rpm HD inside.

Does the system recognise the card at all (about my computer).

Also check in slot 3 if the card works at all (even at low speed). At least for testing this is quite usefull, if the card and drives work, you know it must be something with the (combination of te card and the) slot.

Good luck, Kees

Back