Macs at NASA again

moav

Hunter of Muffins
I remember around 1999 there was talk of NASA dumping all MACs for PCs. Well, I thought that had gone through. After looking at some NASA sites and usage stats it sure looks as if Macs are doing fairly well at NASA. The only thing that is a bit upsetting is that sometime in 2000 they were supposed to switch over to OS X and the PCes to WIN 2000. Well most of the PCes are running WIN 2000 not any higher but the MMACS are stuck at 9.2.2.

A report from Dec 2002 shows that Mac purchases are still allowed... Though it seems that requirements between the PC and the Macs are different in some strange ways after looking over the report. They were requiring in Nov 2002 mac laptops to be running at 1GHz or higher and have a minimum of an 80GB hardrive? How is this possible? Desktop macs needed to be running DP at 867 or higher. Since they haven't upgraded to X I understand why Apple needed to keep at least one powerbook able to boot into 9. It also looks like all Mac users need to purchase an external floppy drive. I'll try posting the internal Document in the next few days in the meantime here is a link to an internal NASA website showing browser and operating system usage(look at how netscape is the defacto standard with them)

http://aerocompass.larc.nasa.gov/usage/

Originally posted by david0109
boring

Excuse me if this sounds fairly rude but is this supposed to be constructive criticism?
One heck of a first post.

I, for one, found it fairly insightful.

david0109 - i'd like to welcome you to macosx.com. i'd also like to point out that we have a very low tolerance for flaming, flame-baiting, or just plain being rude to others.

that being said, moav i found your synopisis to be very interesting and quite informative. still, i think i'll pass on the full report. your 'cliff notes' version was great and thanks for providing the appropriate links for those who do have a deeper interest in this. :)

Well I've been here at NASA Langley Research Center for almost 3 years now and it's been roughly half Macs half PCs (Win2k, Linux etc...). Currently I believe we have around 2200 Macs. There have been "threats" of going all PC for years but, believe me, the Mac users would probably revolt and overthrow the fascist regime ;)

Suffice it to say I don't think the Macs are going anywhere any time soon. Especially now that we're going to be rolling out OS X here shortly.

Back