Macs At Work

Amazing that there seem to be so few graphic designers out there. The Mac has pretty much been the industry standard in the business and so many people are so rabidly anti-Mac that I kinda assumed that most of the people on this forum were somehow connected to the biz. Just goes to show that, very occasionally, even CQ can get it wrong! ;)

Apart from the very first company I worked for that got into "desktop publishing" as it was called in the mid-80s, where I used Aldus Pagemaker v1 on a Wang 33MHz 386 running Windows 1.03 (yes, CQ really IS that old!), I have always used a Mac.

Anyway, to get back to the point, I work in a graphic design studio. The senior designers (including Yours Truly) have G5s, while the juniors use our hand-me-down G4s.

So to sum it up, we have:
2 x G5 1.8MHz
1 x G5 1.6 MHz
1 x G4 865 MHz DP Quicksilver (my old Mac and, IMHO the best looking Mac Apple have ever made!)
2 x G4 700MHz

All of the above run OS X.

We also have 1 x G4 400MHz with a 1GHz processor upgrade card which runs OS 9.2.2 which we use for scanning and a variety of iBooks.

There are 2 lowly PCs in the company: 1 for Admin & Accounts and 1 used to test websites on a variety of Windoze-based browsers.

MACS RULE OK!

I work in a research institution (http://www.icgeb.org, if you want to see what we do...). Here we use both Mac and PC, but the macs are the majority, since a good number of biological apps are better supported on macs :D

Well I don't use my mac for "work". The other day while paying a bill at the local newspaper there in the front was a couple of eMacs,running OS9.On the next block over there is a print shop that uses macs as well.The owners son is part of the Apple developers community,last I heard anyway, he's getting to that age now where the girls are starting to turn his head,so you know what that means. :D

Back