Macs sometimes netbooting from wrong image!

gandalf01

Registered
Occasionally when we netboot a Mac, it boots from the wrong image!
On the OSX Server (10.4.8), the default image is a standard NetBoot image. There is also a NetRestore image used for restoring/cloning and also a NetInstall image used to upgrade Macs running OSX10.3 to 10.4

A few times we have found that although the Standard NetBoot image is set as the default, a Mac has booted to the NetRestore image, which is very worrying as the NetRestore image is set to erase destination hard drive before it restores !
How can this happen even when the standard netboot image is set as the default ?

Also, one of the G4s in our PhotoStudio Netbooted this morning instead of booting of its internal/local hard drive even though no-one had selected this!
I guess this happened because the Mac could not find an alternative startup disk to boot from ? However after NetBooting, we were able to restart the Mac normally, from its local hard drive. Very strange.......

Fortunately, this time the Mac did boot to the default Netboot image on the OSX server so the NetRestore did not 'kick-in' ! However, due to the recent behaviour I feel I cannot trust the NetBoot Server in case it starts up from the NetRestore image and overwrite somesone hard drive!

Has anybody else seen this problem occur before ?

I have had a few G5s boot from the NetBoot image, even though I had
already reset the Startup Disk to be the internal HD! So it is a strange
thing that 'should not' happen, but does somehow.
Otherwise, I have read that it is a bit risky to make an image the
Default image, especially if it erases before it installs. To be safe,
maybe it's best to not use a Default at all.

Back