MacSoup Anyone?

marellocherry

Registered
I've been used to using Hogwasher but I can't afford to pay for it now the trial has run out. I've downloaded MacSoup, I really like the way it's laid out, very easy to get to the news you want.

However I've used it to download some binary files, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to extract them so I can actually view them. At the moment they're marked as having been downloaded. If I click save articles then it just seems to save them as a text file, and I can't see any other option. The help file doesn't explain either! Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Thanks!

'... it just seems to save them as a text file, and I can't see any other option.'; you can then drag the saved file, of a single or multiple MacSOUP article(s) selection(s), onto a decoder application - such as 'yEncTZ' (freeware) or 'Rosetta' (shareware by Brian Clark, if it can be found), for further processing.

If you save each article separately, you can decode them by dragging the selected saved article(s) onto 'StuffIt Expander' v. 10 or earlier (freeware).

Each of the above decoders allows the saved file(s) to be deleted, after being decoded, via its 'Preferences...' setting(s).

Ok firstly there's 3 file formats to choose from when you save it, which one do I choose?
I'm downloading .rar files, with Hogwasher you save these and I decode them using UnRar. Why can't MacSoup do that?
Also if I've got say 300 files to decode, are you saying I have to save each one individually?!!!!!! :confused:

'... which ' file format ' do I choose?'. I used 'Normal text file' in my first reply's examples; but, page 19 of the MacSOUP manual (read the last two paragraphs) recommends 'Unix mailbox'. I saved some binaries in each format, all were properly decoded.

I use 'MT-Newswatcher' to download binaries, MacSOUP as a net news group database, and do not use 'Hogwasher'. Nor, do I include '.rar' based net news groups in my MacSOUP's 'groups' list.

Saving any number of binary files with 'MT-Newswatcher' is a simple - highlight (one or more articles) and 'Save' ('File, Save' menu item, or 'Command S') process; as long as 'MT-Newswatcher's 'MT-Newswatcher, Preferences...' menu item's 'Save File' (left side list item) 'Save articles' - 'Save threads to separate files' and 'Save encoded text' check boxes are check marked.

Back