MacUpdate makes some changes

MacGizmo

Graphics Guy
MacUpdate has just announced that they are adding (notice I didn't say "moving to") a subscription plan at $20 per year. The site as it is now will remain the same (direct download links from the main page, etc.).

Starting 1.5 weeks into January, the MacUpdate Membership features will begin a $20/year subscription rate. You'll gain access that will allow you to turn off the ads on the site. And you'll gain access to an upcoming MacUpdate Desktop application (that will be very cool)."We are not limiting access to normal features of the site, such as viewing most popular or prior new releases past 2-days. We are not adding annoying advertising pages that must load before you can actually download software titles."

You'll also have email alert notifications when someone responds to your user review (which is now threaded by the way!). And as always, you'll still get email update notifications, custom watch lists, keyword watch lists, custom layouts, download history, and more.

MacUpdate is also proud to announce that we will be releasing our first MacUpdate Desktop application. It will allow you to scan your Mac for all of your applications, and match them up with their listing on MacUpdate. Then, when the MacUpdate database is updated with a matching software title, the MacUpdate Desktop application will highlight the change, then allowing you to update your Mac with the latest version.

The MacUpdate Desktop application will also allow you to view the latest new releases and hot picks without loading your browser and going to the MacUpdate website. And lastly, you will have the power to search for applications on MacUpdate from within MacUpdate Desktop. Future releases plan to include synchronization of the MacUpdate Desktop watch list with your web-based watch list.

So what do you all think?
IMO, MacUpdate still beats the pants off adtracker, I mean versiontrack.com. I will most likely pay for the subscription just to get the desktop application, which unlike the current one offered, promises to be much better! [wink]

Before anyone asks, NO! I do not work for MacUpdate. I just love the site ever since I found it after growing tired of click 3 times to download something and waiting for banners to load at worthlesstracker.

*cough* spam! *cough*

This desktop application: Will we basically be getting Speed Download 2 (or 3) with the subscription?

No different than someone posting about versiontracker, MacFixIt, etc making changes. Just news.

Those of us who have .mac, have the free membership to versiontracker.

What is so special that you won't get in versiontracker, gizmo?

I use firebird on versiontracker, so even if I wasn't a paid member, I would not see any of the annoying ads. Besides, I thought you used Camino etc. :D

Not all have a free membership. This is just a news item.
A lot of people like MacUpdate more so than versiontracker, and at times, it does work much better.

Giaguara said:
What is so special that you won't get in versiontracker, gizmo?

MacUpdate allows you to set keywords to highlight apps that interest you. It also has "Watch Lists" that put a list of apps you are interested in at the top of the page whenever they are updated. The site itself is faster loading, too.

The best part is, you can download files directly from the main page, rather than having to click to the second page to get to the download link.

Gia: I'm not using Camino anymore... I switched to Safari full time. BTW, thanks for the Birthday wish you sent me! :D

Hm, those look like nice features. Maybe I'll try :)

I got so tired of so many sites.. that have too many annoying banners that I'm using Firebird alrady for like 40-50 % of the browsing. It has so many more controls than Safari ever has had, so blocking the spinbox thing of the versiontr makes even that to look a nice site ;)

My eyes block even more ads. ;-) MacUpdate's been a good site. I hope the 'free' membership stays more or less the same. Else I have to again rethink my favourite update sites... *sigh*

Back