Macworld 2005

Ceroc Addict said:
When is the exact day and time of the keynote?

Kap

9:00 PST on January 11 (coming tuesday) in the Esplanade Ballroom at Moscone Center, but you should meet up around midnight :)P) if you don't have a reserved seat.

JetwingX said:
how about we meet at the left side of the North Hall Entrance (down the escalator and to the left before entering the exhibits) at noon

i'll have a Santa Rosa Apple store shirt ^^

I might be busy at that time, but when I'm thinking about it I'll probably be busy all the time, so I'll try meeting up.

I am the Norwegian-looking longhair, quite likely wearing a black suit, carrying a camera and a notepad ;)

That makes it:
09:00:00 Tue Jan 11 2005 in America/Los_Angeles converts to
04:00:00 Wed Jan 12 2005 in Australia/Melbourne, Canberra & Sydney

That's 4am for us Aussies ... Even earlier if you're in Perth, Adelaide or Darwin.

3.30 in the damn morning? pfft. I'll read it at 8.30 once all the reports are in... and i'm awake..

Well, if it's Wednesday you're talking about, I'll meet you there if I can. No word on what I'll be wearing yet, but it will probably be the shirt I bought there last year. Kudos to anybody who remembers what that was. ;) (WITHOUT looking through old threads! :p)

symphonix said:
That makes it:
09:00:00 Tue Jan 11 2005 in America/Los_Angeles converts to
04:00:00 Wed Jan 12 2005 in Australia/Melbourne, Canberra & Sydney

That's 4am for us Aussies ... Even earlier if you're in Perth, Adelaide or Darwin.
But since we don't get it until after it's actually over, then it'll probably be more like 5 to 6am, yes?

Kap

Yeah, basically, just get up in the morning like you usually do, then get onto Apple's site and find the broadcast on their Quicktime section. Even if it's not live, if you don't look at anything else, it will still be a nice surprise.

Arden said:
Yeah, basically, just get up in the morning like you usually do, then get onto Apple's site and find the broadcast on their Quicktime section. Even if it's not live, if you don't look at anything else, it will still be a nice surprise.
Well, seeing as how I'll be asleep during the actual keynote, I don't see how anything is going to spoil it. :D It's more that a few friends were planning on getting together and watching the keynote (now that I see it's at 5 - 6am, this seems unlikely).

Kap

Well, I meant don't go to any other websites and don't talk to anyone on your buddy lists. :D

Arden said:
...just get up in the morning like you usually do, then get onto Apple's site and find the broadcast on their Quicktime section. ...

No! :p That spoils the surprise. Find the QuickTime section the night before and go to bed. Do not try and navigate to the Apple page in the morning or you'll just see all in one go all the neat stuff you've been missing. :p

symphonix said:
No! :p That spoils the surprise. Find the QuickTime section the night before and go to bed. Do not try and navigate to the Apple page in the morning or you'll just see all in one go all the neat stuff you've been missing. :p
:D

Thanks for the good advice.

Kap

Ceroc Addict said:
The more I think about it, the more I think January is going to be a big let down.

There are several things that I would be genuinely excited about, but I'm fairly certain that Apple is not going to be doing them (at least this Jan) i.e.
  • The ability to add labelled chapters to audio files for iTunes and the iPod
  • A video iPod (or even better, a really nice Apple digital camera with a 20Gb+ hard drive that could play/record video)
  • A special edition iPod mini (black and red, 6Gb+, with iPhoto functionality, size and weight between the mini and normal iPod)
  • G5 Powerbook (I'd settle for a dual G4 Powerbook)
  • iTunes music store in Australia
  • A revolutionary Apple phone (e.g. watch phone, with 1Gb of storage, iTunes, bluetooth and FW)
  • An Apple PDA (with similar specs to the Sharp Zaurus SL-C3000, except with a larger harddrive and running MacOSX apps)
If I'm wrong and any one of the above things comes out this Jan then I'll be stoked.

I'm moderately excited about Tiger coming out sometime in early 2005, but that's from the last keynote. This time around it's old news.

Kap
Ok, the keynote wasn't a big letdown, but still a letdown.

The only announcement that I found genuinely exciting was the Mac mini - particularly the size and the price point. Nice.

The rest
  • A random mp3 player? What a load of crap. Based on this random playing thing, we can assume it doesn't play audiobooks. Way too expensive for what it does.
  • No iPod mini bump?! Unbelievable.
  • Pages seemed nice, but will probably be like Keynote 1.0 (i.e. In need of a couple of updates before you can get genuinely excited about it) - I'll hold off on getting it until I see what people say.
  • Bunch of things about Tiger that we already knew.
  • Nothing of much of use to me in iLife 05. Liked some of the new iDVD themes.
  • No Asteroid
  • No Australian iTunes music store :(
Kap

Ceroc Addict said:
A random mp3 player? What a load of crap. Based on this random playing thing, we can assume it doesn't play audiobooks. Way too expensive for what it does.
Actually, I take this back.

As a member of the iPod line, I'm still disappointed with the iPod shuffle.

However, when I think of it as a 1GB USB stick (and an Apple made one at that) with music playing capability to boot, it seems like good value for money.

Kap

Back