MacWorld - Nobody's expectations here are high ENOUGH...

Kazrog

Mac Metalhead
I am serious...

I have been doing a lot of 'what would I do if I were Apple' thinking lately and have arrived at the following.

I believe they may release a device that is a little bit larger than an iPod and is basically a full-fledged, Mac OS X-based Mac in a PDA, that can be used as a PDA and also hooked into a monitor, keyboard, docking station type scenario and used as a desktop machine. The technlogy is already available to do something like this, and if they used a G3 processor, 20 gig HD, 256 megs ram, they could probably keep the price around $2500 or less. Throw in AirPort, an internal digital camera, USB, Fire/GigaWire, a headphone port for listening to mp3s that also doubles as a headset jack for cellphone telephony purposes, and you have something completely revolutionary.

Even if they don't do this exact thing at MacWorld in a few days, I feel this is the future of computing, and that Apple will end up doing this anyway, perhaps with some intermediary steps.

Your computer always goes with you, and everything is right there. Why take a piece of the puzzle (PDA, Cellphone, mp3 player, digital camera, laptop, etc.) when you can take the whole thing with you?

And a couple days after this occurred to me, I started seeing these iWalk rumours over at SpyMac.com. It's eerie how similar that might be to my idea, and that's a very good thing!

With the Mac, Apple reinvented the personal computer. With the iMac, they reinvented getting online.

However, most people still can't see any reason to buy a Mac over a PC. One way in which Apple could close the gap would be to reinvent the wheel entirely, get people to think out of the large clunky box or bulky laptop, beige, black, indigo, graphite, or otherwise!

Along with this, I am hoping they will also unveil a wireless broadband service that runs over your AirPort card and offers speeds competitive or better than DSL or Cable.

Next to those two things, flat panel iMacs, faster towers, and rackmount OS X servers seem like yesterday's news already! At least in my opinion...

More ramblings here...

I just finished watching SpyMac.com's supposed "iWalk" videos, and I think that they are cool, whether or not they are real or fake.

However, if the videos are even close to what will be unveiled at MacWorld, then I have to say there is little advantage to this unit over Windows CE based devices, other than the inclusion of FireWire and probably a larger storage capacity of some sort. Who knows though, there is that "mystery" port.

See, I'm trying to keep my expectations higher than what Apple is actually going to unveil here, so that I'm not tempted to spend any more money :)

Back