Made the switch and need help

Boardjive

Registered
Well, just made the switch 2 weeks ago from my 17 year PC addiction and the Mac-crack is much better. ;-)

Anyway, my question is (after unsuccessfully finding it here and on google) how do you set OS X to open a default app per the file extension?

The problem I'm having is that whever I download .rm (real media) the system defaults to using the graphic converter versus realone player to open the file.

control click icon of document --> get info --> open with --> select program. You can make it apply to that single file or to all files with a similar extension.

You can also - while ctrl-clicking on a document - hold down the option (alt) key. The menu item 'Open with' will change to 'Always open with', although that setting won't switch all files of the same type (for that the tip above is the right one).

I have a problem with OSX and JPG files.

After succesfully importing JPG pictures from my Camera in iphoto, or if i just copy them directly over from Compact Flash card , ' PREVIEW ' always opens JPG files. , I would like to open them with another program.

I also have problems with importing them in imovie. These files are greyed out when i attempt to import them. I have found that if I open them with another program and save them as JPG ( YES AGAIN ) , imovie will see it ?

I'm very confused , any help is appreciated.

Switched about 6 months ago

nox

To change the default application for ALL .jpg files, just follow this simple procedure.

Find a .jpg file. Any one will do. Click it and hit Command-I to bring up the info window. Open up the Open With section. Change the associated program to the one you want. After that, just hit the Change All... button and respond appropriately to any prompts that might appear.

select one of the jpg files and do a get info on it (cmd-I). one of the sections will be OpenWith:

open that section and change the app that should open jpg files. after this hit the change all button. files should now open in the app of your choice.

I just started using iMovie, so I can't help with the other one...

Back