Made the switch this week.

kodos

Registered
We needed a new family computer, our old one was starting to get slow (P4, WinXP). Was hedging between Vista, and maybe going Mac. Seeing what has happened with Vista, and the bad taste Windows has slowly been leaving in my mouth (since first being a Windows user since Windows 2.x!) I decided to switch to the Mac.

We got an iMac 24", and I was smitten. Was wonderful having a real command shell as opposed to "MS-DOS++", and after adapting to the OS it was a real breeze to use. For my money it is actually more of a power user's OS than Windows. Love it.

Well, the "family machine" was starting to become "Kodos' machine" this last week, with the family not able to do much on it at all :).

So, after figuring out our tax refund, we talked it over and decided I could get myself a shiny new 17" MacBook Pro that I could use as a development machine to offset the 17" Dell Inspiron I've been using for the last year and a half.

So far, I've been loving it. I am a little hesitant about the keyboard design. Not having a proper home, page up/down, end key set irks me. And the keys feel a little more plasticky than they probably should.

That's been the negatives so far. Comparing it to the Dell would be like comparing a Corvette to a Chevette someone stuck a Corvette engine in. The Chevette may be as fast, but it is probably dropping parts on the way there. Not to mention how it looks or handles. My power cord on the Dell is hardly working anymore (this is hardly new, the last Dell laptop I had was similar), the backlighting is atrocious, the fans make the most atrocious noises, etc...

I was really shocked to find out that a similarly equipped Dell was around $200 more on the Dell site. I'm sure you could find a coupon for it, but man the days of Macs being way more expensive are over.

Well, that's my story so far. If you had asked me if I would be switching 2 years ago, I would have laughed at your face. The combination of OS X + Intel processors is great. I hope the Mac marketshare continues to grow. Microsoft has gotten way too complacent and bloated, and their products lack the same sort of passion Apple brings.

Hope to meet a lot of friends in Apple land!

Welcome to the forum! And congratulations on switching over from the Dark Side. :)

Now it's a matter of getting the rest of the family to see the light! :D

Back