Made the switch to mac and I love it!

kebosma

Registered
After 12 years of fooling around with win95, win98, win98SE, winXP and winXPSP2, I switched to a 20" Imac intel core duo 2 (2.16 GHz), and I love it!

I have never had such a good computer before and the only thing that I'm regretting is that I didn't switch earlier to a MAC... I'm going to sell all of my windows based computers and also buy a macbook intel core duo2, white.... Maybe even a second 20" Imac in the future, but I have to see...

Everything is suddenly so simple and feels so robust, it's great! I don't hear big ventilators blowing or noisy HDD's spinning, it handles like a very luxurious car!

There are however a couple of things that I would like to discuss on this forum:

- When I'm typing like this, very often two of the same characters are displayed on the screen where I only typed one, for example: "oftten". I've never experienced this on a computer before. I tried increasing repeativity delay of the keyboard in system preferences, but this didn't help. Any suggestions? I type quite fast, maybe that is the problem?

- When I'm typing a text document in for examples pages or word, how can I quikly, with one press of a keyboard button, hop to the end or beginning of the line? (like HOME and END functionality in a windows environment).

- When I want to switch from insert to typeover in a document in word or pages, can I do this with a keyboard button? (like INSERT in a windows environment).

That's it for now, I think I will be active on this forum a lot, since I want to learn as much as possible about my new " rolls royce"....

Greetz...

- When I'm typing like this, very often two of the same characters are displayed on the screen where I only typed one, for example: "oftten". I've never experienced this on a computer before. I tried increasing repeativity delay of the keyboard in system preferences, but this didn't help. Any suggestions? I type quite fast, maybe that is the problem?

Try using a different keyboard. See if the problem persists. I'm suspecting that it wouldn't, and hence the keyboard is faulty. I can type at about 100 words per minute, and I've never experienced the problems you describe.

- When I'm typing a text document in for examples pages or word, how can I quikly, with one press of a keyboard button, hop to the end or beginning of the line? (like HOME and END functionality in a windows environment).

Do CMD+Left arrow to go to the beginning of the line, CMD + right arrow to go to the end of the line.

- When I want to switch from insert to typeover in a document in word or pages, can I do this with a keyboard button? (like INSERT in a windows environment).

I do not think there is a keyboard equivalent of the INSERT key.

And after buying the 20" Imac, I just also bought the 2.0 GHz core due 2 macbook (white off course), wonderful machine and now I can get rid of all the remaining windows machines....... Man what a nice stuff, the Apple stuff...

Does the double-character problem only occur in the webbrowser? And is it only a _display_ problem or is the character actually there? I've found Safari sometimes has troubles displaying text in forms when you delete a line or two (parts of the deleted text remain visible, although they're gone logically).

Fryke, the double- character problem not only occurs in webbrowser, but also in text editors, when filling in on line documents, chatting with people, etc. I tried a new keyboard on my Imac, but it doesn't help. I also bought the same 20" Imac for my father-in-law, same problem. I guess that it is some kind of setting in the keyboard SW, but not something the user can change.
Maybe it's the way I'm typing, as I said, I type quite fast.

By the way, my MacBook doesn't have this problem.

Hm. Seriously strange, then. Never came across such a bug/setting. If the key repetition is set okay, it should be no problem. Also, if you're a fast typer, this shouldn't occur, anyway, since you won't hold down a key for too long...

I get repetition of the pp (see what I mean?) key on my iMedia keyboard but not on my Original iMac one. The difference between the two is that the iMedia is a membrane keyboard, and my old iMac keyboard uses springs. I get the feeling that there is a little weakness in the membrane which keeps the key from responding properly all the time.

I Think it could be very much what you explained Andychrist, if they are using membranes these days in Imac keyboards also. It's like some internal vibration is causing the repetition...

Yeah, kebosma, like just about all nowadays, the new iMac keyboards are the membrane type. They are much more economical to produce and have a softer feel, but are often less reliable than the old fashion mechanical ones. Sampling display keyboards at various retailers, I found that most had obviously damaged ares of their membranes, where the keys would feel extremely mushy. If I did more typing and could justify the expense, I would switch to the Matias Tactile Pro:

"The Matias Tactile Pro Keyboard is built from the same premium keyswitch technology that Apple used in its original Apple Extended Keyboard, widely viewed as the best keyboard Apple ever made."

I think Kensington has their name on something similar.

Gosh, I _loved_ the Apple Extended Keyboard II. It was so *freaking* expensive, but well worth the price. Its sound was great as well.

Oops, I see that the Matias Tactile Pro is being updated with USB 2 but will not be available for sale again until April. Also Kensington's Studioboard Mechanical keyboard is similarly unavailable.

FWIW, Macally makes a slim keyboard with mechanical, scissor-action keys. The Icekey gets rave reviews on Amazon. The key travel felt a little too short for me when I tried it out a while ago, but I'm getting so tired of repppeating keys on the iMedia, am tempted to order one of these.

Actually, I love the design of my Imac keyboard, it suits the overall design.
So I'm most willing to accept this minor Hardware "bug" in this type of keyboard, since the bugs that I experienced with a windows computer were ALWAYS far more severe......

But however, I also like the Matias Tactile Pro very much Andychrist, hopefully I can connect my USB memory stick with this USB 2.0 port at the side. This is not possible with my current keyboard, since I get the message that there is not enough current available for the memory device. What do you think?

Agreed, the pro keyboard is perfectly styled. Don't think I would be as forgiving though if I had just bought a new Mac to discover that the keyboard was not perfectly reliable-- I make enough of my own typos and don't need a device to do that for me. :eek:

hopefully I can connect my USB memory stick with this USB 2.0 port at the side. This is not possible with my current keyboard, since I get the message that there is not enough current available for the memory device. What do you think?

Well apparently that is exactly what the new USB 2 dock on the Matias is for. Pretty nifty.

Glad you are enjoying your experience with the Mac. :)

Back