Magnesium iMac for 2004?

Sounds reasonable. It doesn't necessarily mean a redesign, though. The article is only mentioning replacing the current steel/zinc alloy frame with magnesium, for reducing production costs. In other words, this is nothing we'd hear about from Apple. Perhaps the 20" iMac already uses this frame.

Hmm, good point. I personally think there's some life in the iMac design yet (if it ain't broke and all that)... but a new design would be nice (for us design junkies).

Doesn't mean a design change, apparently. However: Apple is a company who has to surprise. It seems as if a 'same procedure as every year' update to the products just doesn't cut it for Apple. This past year, they've brought the Alu PowerBooks in January (THAT was a surprise!), The G5 in June - and then not so much so new until the iBook got its G4 and the iMac its 20" display. January without surprises? I don't think so. :) Whether it's going to be the iMac that gets redesigned is to be seen.

fryke said:
Doesn't mean a design change, apparently. However: Apple is a company who has to surprise. It seems as if a 'same procedure as every year' update to the products just doesn't cut it for Apple. This past year, they've brought the Alu PowerBooks in January (THAT was a surprise!), The G5 in June - and then not so much so new until the iBook got its G4 and the iMac its 20" display. January without surprises? I don't think so. :) Whether it's going to be the iMac that gets redesigned is to be seen.

Apple screen MUST be redesigned if they want to survive.

Fryke and Chevy I have developed a new product the 100% quiet computer, but it is an x86 product.

tree said:
Fryke and Chevy I have developed a new product the 100% quiet computer, but it is an x86 product.

Just a chip, no power supply, no screen... just a good old 80486... good idea to recycle W3.11 computers.

I just heard something about Mercury being used to make x-mas ornaments. Maybe the next iMac will be shining in all it's christmas ornament glory.

KSV: Updated, not redesigned. The shape, size, etc. (besides monitor size :p) have remained the same.

A new iMac design should come out in 2006 if Apple does what they did with the old design. It will be something nobody expected and run on a G5, too. :)

Any chance for a metal imac? Instead of the current plastic white? Also... when are they going to put slot loading drives in the imac. I really dont like the flip out door on the current model... it's just ugly :)

the thinnest personal cd player available at the moment is made with a magnesium alloy casing. if would make more sense if apple were to use magnesium for their portables.

The magnesium is for the inside framiing of the iMac. It will make the new "new iMac" a lot lighter. This will greatly reduce Apple's shipping costs and help them reduce the base cost of the system. I think part of Apple's goal is better price flexibility with the new "new iMacs."

I just wonder if these newer iMacs will be a radically different design. The 20" iMac looks awesome and breathes new life into the current design. It will be interesting if Apple can one up it. Just as a note, the original NeXT Cube was made out of Magnesium. OS X has more in common with the original NeXT Cube than the Original Mac. SO it will be interesting if we see something on the lines of a modern (smaller) NeXT cube.

stingerman said:
The magnesium is for the inside framiing of the iMac. It will make the new "new iMac" a lot lighter. This will greatly reduce Apple's shipping costs and help them reduce the base cost of the system. I think part of Apple's goal is better price flexibility with the new "new iMacs."

I could be wrong but isnt Apple already having to weigh down the 20" imacs to keep them from falling over? Why would they want them to have a lighter base? Just look at the difference in weight between the two top models. Its crazy.

Presumably they would find a way to lighten the monitor as well, possibly by putting magnesium into the frame as well as the base.

Contrary to what you may think, the iMac doesn't easily fall over. If you push the monitor all the way down, you will see that it doesn't stick out that far beyond the base. Simple consideration of the levers involved make it clear that the screen would have to weigh more than twice more to make the iMac topple. The screen - arm begins right in the middle of the base, which is round and provides actually the best possible support. If you don't believe me, just try it out. Don't grasp the screen, but pull down the arm as far as you can. You will need to apply considerable force. Even if the base would be lighter, nothing would change, because it is a simple case of geometry: the width and form of the base and the place where the arm is attached.

Back