Magnesium iMac for 2004?

Cat said:
Contrary to what you may think, the iMac doesn't easily fall over. If you push the monitor all the way down, you will see that it doesn't stick out that far beyond the base. Simple consideration of the levers involved make it clear that the screen would have to weigh more than twice more to make the iMac topple. The screen - arm begins right in the middle of the base, which is round and provides actually the best possible support. If you don't believe me, just try it out. Don't grasp the screen, but pull down the arm as far as you can. You will need to apply considerable force. Even if the base would be lighter, nothing would change, because it is a simple case of geometry: the width and form of the base and the place where the arm is attached.
See, that's what I figured. That means that Apple could considerably lighten the iMac and reduce its price and physical weight while still keeping the base in one place by putting in magnesium structures.

I've been thinking about what Apple would make if they decided to completely redesign the iMac. Granted, the current design is only about 3 years old, and the last time they did something like that it was the transition from G3 to G4, so the transition from G4 to G5 is a ways off, but what would it look like? Would it be holey like the Powermac G5? Would it be even flatter than it is now?

The iMac wouldn't end up with the G5 feel to it, because that would move it out of the 'i' family into the 'power' family. Sure, I know that realistically, the iBook is probably more 'paired' with the eMac, but we still like to think of it as an iMac to go.

Possibly pair it with the iPod, and make it half shiny metal and half white :D ;) God no....

I saw a demo at CES some years back by Panasonic I think it was...they had a magnesium laptop and they dropped if off a 15 foot ladder....thing was fine...took a lickin' kept on tickin'. Mg is the way to go....

Back