Magnification is stuck on

jae_bldr

Registered
Yesterday, after a brief power outage at my home, my PowerPC G4, which is running OS X 10.3.9, desktop's images are now all extra large and a bit fuzzy. The magnification is so big that I can not get to the bottom of any documents to resize the windows. This is what I've done so far to no avail:

I checked the Universal Access control in System Preferences and Zoom is not turned on. I turned it on and off twice... no change.

I fixed the permissions... no change.

I rebooted the computer several times...no change.

I tried to reboot with PRAM clearing buttons pushed down, but that hasn't worked for over a year -- I'm using a wireless Microsoft keyboard (model 1027) which maybe the problem with this other issue.

Any ideas what to do next?

It looks as if your screen size isn't recognized correctly. You may have to go to System Preferences and check the screen resolution.

It looks as if your screen size isn't recognized correctly. You may have to go to System Preferences and check the screen resolution.

I've done that too. It was set on 1024 X 768, which is where it should be. Setting it to 640 x 480 or 800 x 600 only makes it worse.

I've done that too. It was set on 1024 X 768, which is where it should be. Setting it to 640 x 480 or 800 x 600 only makes it worse.
On a typical flatscreen, the resolution should be much bigger, something like 1280x1024 is minimum for 4:3 screens. Try to increase the resolution or to redetect your monitor.

On a typical flatscreen, the resolution should be much bigger, something like 1280x1024 is minimum for 4:3 screens. Try to increase the resolution or to redetect your monitor.

Well, the largest setting option I have is 1024 X 768 and is where it's been set for the past 3 years. I never had this problem before, even after previous power outages.

I do not know how to get the computer to "redetect" the monitor.

I have tried to adjust the Zoom feature, after turning it on, but nothing happens. It is not responding. Whatever I try I just get the bird trill noise which means the command cannot be done, for whatever reasons. I'm getting really frustrated.

I swear my computers, like my cats, seem to know when I'm at a critical time in my life and start to go nutty!

I just had my PowerBook go out on my last week and Apple gave me a brand new MacBook Pro. I'm not complaining, but the reason I need the PowerPC G4 to function is to back up everything off it before I junk it too. My computers seem to be processed.

Try making a new user account and see if the problem is present when you log in to the new account.

I tried resetting the Resolution for the display and I think the best option for it : 1280x1024 isn't there to choose from. It must have been there at one time but now it's not and as a result the Resolution is incorrect.

I also have no Refresh Rate options available.

So, how can I get my computer to redetect my monitor?

Try making a new user account and see if the problem is present when you log in to the new account.

I created a Test user and the problem persists.
I logged in under my daughter's account and the problem persists.

Any other suggestions?

On my (German) 10.4. the option is on the right. It is a button below the dropdown boxes for colors and refresh rate. It should be named "detect monitors".

If it were there, I would have already tried it.
I also don't have access to the Refresh Rate option, tho it's there, just not available to change.
Below that is nothing until closer to the bottom is Show display in menu bar and below that is number of modes.

I am running 10.5.3, so i cannot check for default options for 10.3.9 - but there should
be a way to detect displays from the Display preference pane.

The problem may be with the monitor - do you have access to a different monitor?

If this cannot be resolved, one option is to backup any data you cannot afford to lose and then do an archive and install.

Nope, no other monitor.
And the reason I'm doing all this is so I can back up everything. I'm planning on moving to a new Mac.
Anyway, I just tried something new... I clicked on the green button on the top left corner of my window and it resized the window just enough so now I can read the names of everything and scroll left, right, up and down. My arrows were at the bottom of the window. Not sure how to change those, but I'm looking.

I think I can get the back up done now and then do a reinstall.

Back