Mail and IMAP

calculi

Registered
Hallo,
there are already many problems in Mail cited in this forum, I also encountered problem importing old settings. Since I had only IMAP accounts on Mail, I tried to keep the ~/Library/Mail and plist file somewhere else and create accounts again. But it seems that Mail has problems with SSL connections and IMAP subfolders. It checks mail for new mails on server perfectly, but when it comes to reading it, it simply doesn't show any emails in cases of with SSL connected mailboxes and IMAP subfolders. It can only be terminated using 'forced quit'. The application shows activity that it is doing something, but gives no response for long time. I had tried other option of removing GPG support, but in vain. I reinstalled Mail after removing all mail components from Library and the main package itself. It was absolute fresh installation, but it gives the same problem. Now I have only .Mac and one IMAP account with only access to Inbox, where it is working without hassle. But I'd like to use it with other IMAP accounts. Maybe any of you could give any suggestion.

thanx in advance!

calculi

I can't help directly but I am using 5 IMAP accounts one of which is over SSL with no problem. Is there something odd about your IMAP server like a specific stem you need to add to the directory server side that is miss configured?

Well, I created new User and tried to configure Mail. It is working perfectly. Although I removed all the elements related to Mail from ~/Library under old User login, I couldn't configure it properly, quite uncanny. It seems there are some other files which are incorporated with Mail which were causing the problem. Well, it worked fine now, when I backed-up and removed all files in ~/Library somewhere under old login and logged in again, with new User setting wizard. I later selectively put old files in fresh login. But now there is another problem with Speech Recognition, which I should post separately.

Thanx for your help!

calculi

Yes, I was about to mention that I manage an IMAP server on a 8600 running 10.2 using SSL exclusively, and a Pismo running Tiger as the client. Not a single glitch. Of course, I did a clean install which probably helped. Upgrades seem to cause the most problem for users when moving to a new system version, so I just backup, wipe, and install bits by hand as I need them.

So, I guess the moral of the story is that the 'Upgrade' option in OS X installers is /not/ your friend. ;)

Back