Mail.app and IMAP

cellfish

Depressed as hell
I use a mailblocks (www.mailblocks.com) IMAP account and wanted it to be in Mail.app. There are two problems though. Whenever I get an attachment and try to save it, Mail says I need to download it first and when it's downloaded, it still doesn't save or allow me to drag it off. Even though it has already been downloaded, Mail will just keep telling me it needs to be downloaded. Also, mailblocks has its own 'deleted messages' folder called 'deleted items', but for some reason Mail keeps making a new folder called 'deleted messages' on top of the deleted items one. It's a nuisance. Is Mail.app simply retarded when it comes to IMAP?

Andre

I am happily using Mail with my IMAP server (Courier IMAP on Linux, SSL encrypted, MD5 challenge-response authentication).

Saving attachments works perfectly. Regarding your 'deleted items' folder, have you tried to select it and then to choose "Use this mailbox for... deleted messages"? Works for me very well.

Selecting it and choosing 'use this mailbox for deleted messages' doesn't work because there is no such option. However, in the preferences, there's a panel where I can choose to 'keep deleted messages on server' and 'move deleted messages to trash'. I removed the 'move deleted...' option and will see if the Deleted Messages folder returns.

cellfish said:
Selecting it and choosing 'use this mailbox for deleted messages' doesn't work because there is no such option.

Yes, there is, in Panther Mail in the Mailbox menu and (as far as I recall) in the context menu if you ctrl-click the folder. Currently, I don't have my PowerBook with me, but I will look it up later.

I have an question regarding IMAP folders. I have 2 IMAP accounts. One is from my school (exchange) and the second is hosted by my friend's website (unknown, probably unix related). For my school account the IMAP folders (ie. Deleted Items, Sent Items, etc) appear under an icon that looks like a globe with an @ symbol. For my accoun on my friend's sever they appear under the account's inbox (with a little arrow next to the inbox).

Can anyone explanation why mail treats these differently?

Back