Mail.app is eating my new email messages!

Schpider

Registered
I am running 10.0.4 (4Q12) and have just recently developed a problem. I am at a university that requires Kerberos authentication to retrieve email from the school's servers, and I run a Kerberos client they provide via Classic Mode. I then start up Mail.app and when it connects to the server, the Kerberos client pops up and asks for my password. This works fine, but then after spinning for a while, it downloads my messages and makes the submarine sound, but no new mail ever shows up in the inbox. I have checked all mailboxes, and even done a "grep -r xxxxx *" for a string that I knew would only be in one of the newest messages, from the shell in the Library/Mail/Mailboxes directory. I have a Linux-freak for a roommate and he can't figure out where they are getting dumped to at all. If anyone has any ideas, I would be most appreciative. Thanks!

-Ryan
http://db.etree.org/schpider
AIM: Schpider98
ISUSinbad

PS: I am checking my mail currently via WebMail so I won't miss all of your responses. Thanks!

Schpider wrote:

I then start up Mail.app and when it connects to the server, the Kerberos client pops up and asks for my password. This works fine, but then after spinning for a while, it downloads my messages and makes the submarine sound, but no new mail ever shows up in the inbox.

This might help: Check out the Sept 21 entry at macintouch.com: Recent News at Macintouch. It makes a suggestion for the possibility that mail.app is pulling your messages but not incorporating them into your mailbox.

Hope it works,

Vic

Text from Macintouch:
Fred Martin wrote with a fix to a Mail.app problem he encountered with Mac OS X:

"If Mail is pulling your mail off your server but not incorporating it into your inbox, check for a corrupted POPSpoolFile. [...] I discovered that my mail was being brought into a file named POPSpoolFile in my Library/Mail/ folder. New mail was being appended to this file, which is a plain text file of the mail including all headers etc. But Mail.app would not unspool this file into my inbox!
  "Finally I moved the file out of its initial location, and then things started working again."

or you have putten up the email-text-window-top up quiet under the status-line (if you have activate it, elsewere, it will be directly under the buttons!).... it happens to me in August, and i gave up to use Mail.app and OS X because of this, that i didn't saw the mailing-list!!.... perplexed as i saw this month, that this godd..... line was pullen up and is so little, that i didn't recognised it !!! :)....

Back