mail.app is wining the arstechnica poll

Ah, that's a 'Mac internal' poll, i.e. not for Windows users... Well, I love Mail. It's the perfect E-Mail application for me, it seems. :)

i find it hard to believe that only 3% are using entourage.

as much as i hate MS, i like entourage.

fryke said:
Ah, that's a 'Mac internal' poll, i.e. not for Windows users... Well, I love Mail. It's the perfect E-Mail application for me, it seems. :)

Same here.

I love Mail, it does exactly what I expect a good mail client to do, no friffy features, no bloat...

crash said:
i find it hard to believe that only 3% are using entourage...

Before I moved to OS X, I used Outlook Express.

But then Microsoft wouldn't move it to OS X and Office wasn't around at that point to I moved over to Mail.

The only thing I regret is having to part with my emails .. lost now, unfortunately.

I had over a gig of mail, all of which was very important to me...

Entourage is great, I used it for quite a while before mail. And Outlook Express 5 was the best mail app I'd used before I switched to OSX. I got used to Mail pretty quickly though, I'm liking it a lot. The spam filters are very good, I've noticed that they've started to pick up MyDoom emails (so now my Junk folder is up to about 1000 emails for the first time in a while).

I have a pretty large collection of clients, friends, family and other business contacts, mailings et cetera.

So I live out the filters; re-directing emails to specific folders.

One little tip is to get something like Voice Box and create sound files for each folder in your mail.

So for example, create a sound file for John Smith which is the spoken sound of that name and then attach it to the filter for that name.

Now I can be working away and hear the name of an email and respond to if it's urgent or just leave it and carry on with my work...

octane said:
Before I moved to OS X, I used Outlook Express.

But then Microsoft wouldn't move it to OS X and Office wasn't around at that point to I moved over to Mail.

The only thing I regret is having to part with my emails .. lost now, unfortunately.

I had over a gig of mail, all of which was very important to me...
In case anyone is confused, Mail.app can import mail including its mailbox setttings from other mail clients such as Eudora and Outlook Express. That was a godsend when I switched from my venerable PM 9500 to my dual 2 GHz G5.

Why is it that when i see these polls the mac is always kicking ass? yet are supposed to have the smallest market share??

MisterMe said:
In case anyone is confused, Mail.app can import mail including its mailbox setttings from other mail clients such as Eudora and Outlook Express. That was a godsend when I switched from my venerable PM 9500 to my dual 2 GHz G5.

Unfortunately, not for me at the time .. bummer :(

Now, where did I leave that time machine?..

I too used Outlook Express before Mac OSX - but I was able to import all of my old mail (many 100s of Mbs) into Mail without any difficulty at all.

And, like others have said, I find Mail does just about anything I need. I'd just like to have a greater degree of possible customisation....

I switched from Entourage to Mail when Mail first arrived just in principle, but quickly came to prefer it. I have very basic mail needs, so Mail is perfect. In fact, I can't really think of a way to improve it for my uses. (Though I could think of ways to improve Address Book as a tie in by allowing color coded grouping options like Entourage allows, which is cool. Especially with Labels back in OS X, AB would be perfect for that).

You can color code in mail under the rules preference. Just create a rule for a given address or group of addresses and assign a color.

Yeah, but it's not quite as useful as it is under Entourage.

I use _every_ part of Entourage _other_ than the mail client...

Thanks for the color code tip in Mail. I didn't dig deep enough to see that. Unfortunately, the way I'd want to use color coding would be like this...in Address Book (and thus Mail) I'd like to be able to set color groups like (friends, prospects, clients, family, etc.) and then assign those colors right in AB on the fly. Then within Mail I could choose things like "Send to Family". Yes, I can make groups, but that's not as convenient or easy to to remember to maintain as colors. With one look you could see if a color has been assigned or not, with groups, you have to manually read through the entire group to see if you forgot anybody.

Thanks for the tip though, I can think of ways to use that.

Back