Mail App Not actually deleting emails

Murderer909

Violent Member
Ok, I checked my email the other day and I received about 7 emails from early January. I thought okay, maybe this is a weird one time glitch. So, I took care of the emails and deleted them. [Even deleted them from the deleted items]. Lo and behold, I recheck my email later on and the same emails reappeared. I erased them and I erased a whole slew of other emails that I had read and didnt need any longer. Quit Mail.app and then reopen, the problem persists AND the other emails I deleted reappeared. I am beginning to think this is a problem with my ISP, so I call the ISP and have them manually delete the emails from my Mailbox. Apparently, they did it without a problem. I checked my email and it seemed to work, but just to be safe, I checked it about an hour later, and WOW, I got 70 of these phantom emails back to me. I dont know whats goin on. Somebody please help me and my mail! Thanks...

so the mail is getting pretty hectic in Santa Monica, eh? :D
sorry to see you having problems but i'll try to help. i haven't had this problem with my pop accounts but that is because i set them to delete files on server when i upload. have you tried using this preference? you must edit your account then go to account options tab to set it.

so you are then deleting files.. they should go to trash folder(s) or the folder you have specified at that point. then you go to mailbox in menu and use delete trash or compact trash or whatever is like that for your settings. you must do this for each trash folder while it is open.

if this is what you are doing then i am as lost as you. it seems to work for me. for sure i don't get old emails again.

HEY! I had that happen to me last month too! Only I had about 450 emails (yeah I get a lot) from Dec 2001 and Jan 2002.

I don't know what was going on, but I thought it must have been my ISP or something.

The problem seems to have gone away, because I check my email from 3 different sources:
Mail.app
Outlook Express 6(ugh)
www.mail2web.com

and I only get new emails.

Every time I check my e-mail remotely (using fetchmail and pine) there is a whole bunch of messages from mailing lists that I filter out in Mail.app, dating back a number of days.

In my case, the messages that do get accepted by Mail.app are gone though, just the stuff that is filtered stays on the server. Go figure...

Originally posted by scruffy
Every time I check my e-mail remotely (using fetchmail and pine) there is a whole bunch of messages from mailing lists that I filter out in Mail.app, dating back a number of days.

In my case, the messages that do get accepted by Mail.app are gone though, just the stuff that is filtered stays on the server. Go figure...

I noticed that too so I started transferring filtered mail to Deleted Messages instead of checking "Delete this message" and that solved the problem.

Back