mail.app question

guyeva

Registered
How does one get mail.app to stop playing a sound when the rules tell it to put something that comes in into the junk folder? I don't want to be alerted when junk arrives, but cannot figure out how to turn off the sound for that. Marking it read didn't work, nor did deleting it.

Stumped....

Dear Stumped,

As near as I can tell the sound is tied to any new mail regardless of were your mail ends up via "The Rules".

The manipulate the sound goto Menu Mail > Preferences... > General then "New Messages Sound:" None

Apparently the sound happens before the rules/junk rules are applied....

Well the sound may happen before the rules are applied, however before I had to start making rules I used to just mark this stuff as junk, and that did it, no sound played, and the junk would accumulate in the pop account folder without being downloaded and arrive there silently.

But then the spam started getting past my junk marking all the time, and marking it junk no longer worked for some reason, who knows, spammers are terribly clever. So then spam I had previously marked junk just came right through no matter how many times I marked it junk, the same stuff, Space Bags, Bid Sell, Autofinder, Gevalia, etc.

It was as though my junk filter quit on me, so I had to start putting in rules, but the spam still annoys in that I have to check each time mail goes DING!, even though it was spam landing my pop account trash folder.

It would be so nice if I could fix that or get my junk filter working again.

Back