Mail App Questions

Harvey

Registered
Hello All,

Is there a way to delete duplicate mails in Mail.app?
Occasionally my mail server... or app... freaks out and
creates duplicates in my inbox when downloading messages.

Double question. Is there a way to backup all the mails
in my Inbox, Sent mail, and other personal folders?

I would like to move these to external storage for backup
purposes if possible.

Thanks!

-Harvey

From the Mail.app help:

Backing up mailboxes and addresses

You may to wish to back up your mailboxes, messages, addresses, and account settings as part of your regular backup strategy. To back up this information, make copies of the files listed below.

- Copy all the files located in Home/Library/Mail.

- Copy the file "com.apple.mail.plist," located in Home/Library/Preferences.
This file stores the preferences you set in Mail Preferences.

- Copy the folder "AddressBook," located in Home/Library/Application Support. This file is used by both Address Book and Mail.

Hello, I have recently switched from 10.3 on an iBook G3 to 10.4 on a PowerBook G4, and I tried to backup my mail before I made the switch, but things seem weird. Doesn't seem like any of the files I restored are taking affect.

Is there some large difference between the two versions of Mail that is maybe interrupting my restore attempts?

Any help appreciated!

-Harvey

I abandoned MS Outlook for Mail.app 6.2 (on my iMac/10.8.2). Under PREFERENCES / ACCOUNTS / MAILBOX_BEHAVIOR the only checkmark is "Move deleted mail to Trash," Delete_Sent is set to NEVER, Delete_JUNK is set to "Quitting Mail," and Permenently_Erase_Deleted_Messages is set to "Quitting Mail."

I quit Mail and restart it, but the Trash/Deleted email is still there.

Maybe I'm just an old codger, but when I say DELETE, I mean it and I'm willing to accept the consequences if I didn't really want THAT particular thing to go away.

What am I doing wrong, or not doing in addition to all these settings?

Thanks!

My Mail.app seems to be working fine now. I'm not sure what changed things - maybe posting here was an embarrassment of sorts?

Back