mail.app - select outgoing server per message

ora

Registered
Hi amigos, long time no see.

Anyway, I now live in the UK once more and my new ISP have some deeply irritating anti spam rules that require me to use the ISP's outgoing server. Of course I can only use this when at home but I use my beloved macbook pro at work too, when i want to use my own outgoing server. As it stands I just send the mail then when it fails i select the new one from the dropdown, but this is irritating.

Anyone know a way to set locations with dif servers, or even add a server dropdown for outgoing mails, cos now I hit send then have to remember to select the server when i get the error a few mins later.

Cheers!

ora

I have two accounts registered with Mail, and it has a drop down menu in the message writer that allows me to choose which account to send from.

But as ora said : Usually its easy to forget about selection and therefore some function where a selection of outgoing server would pop up before sending is the thing a lot of people are looking for. Its strange that such a simple and often required function has not found its way into the otherwise great Mail App. There must be many people out there who want to distinguish safe between business and private mail at sending.

hfvienna

eric, are they for the same mail account? Cos its still my personal email, just in 2 locations. I know i can switch accounts though hadn't though of doing what you suggest, i guess it would work as long as were both imap as would replicate changes across the two.

And hfv, i totally agree, i failed to send a mail the other day as i tabbed to a dif app and forgot about the failure popup, i would think a plugin could help here as mail seems to be scriptable, but i lack the knowledge to make one and couldn't find anything with google.

I use a commercial ($20/year) off-site SMTP server. It uses port 3325 to get around many ISPs' requirement to send port 25 traffic through their internal network. This is a small price to pay (for me, anyhow) to have it work anywhere, with any account.

If you have more laid-back ISPs than I have, you can turn on the SMTP server that comes with every copy of Tiger. You'll have to figure out how on your own. Then just tell every account in Mail to use localhost for outgoing mail.

mabri - thanks!!

Whithill, interesting, the port switch might help, can you give me the name of the service?

logo.gif

See their Alternate-port SMTP service.

Back