Mail.app turned into a Folder

agusgriego

Partially Insane
After Installing Mac OS X 10.1.1 Update, my Mail.app turned into a folder, and I can browse it's content. Erasing .app extension, and adding it again didn't turn it into a functioning application.

Does anybody know how to fix this?
Thanx in advance,

It does that when you move the old mail app before so if you moved the mail from the apps folder to another it will do that when you install 10.1.1

Regrettably, this didn't solve the issue of the app being a folder... I think I'll just ask someone to give me a copy of mail.app and replace it with the defective one.

Thanx!

This also happened to me, since I have Mail.app in /Applications/Internet. After the upgrade, I simply went to the terminal and did:

cp -fR /Applications/Mail.app /Applications/Internet/Mail.app

This overwrites all files in /Applications/Internet/Mail.app that are also present on the 10.1.1 version, thus leaving you with an upgraded Mail.app. It worked fine. The next time I ran Mail.app it just asked for permission to open something in the keychain, but I've read elsewhere that this is normal and also happens to people that don't move Mail.app out from /Applications.

I did the same (ended up with one broken copy of mail in Applications and the un-updated version left in applications/Internet).
I'm not using Mail for my main mail so i didn't sort it out for ages and then tried to copy (or move :rolleyes: ) the new files over the old ones (using the Finder i'm afraid) and, er... screwed up somewhere!
So i'm left with an application called Mail (in Applications) which says it is version 1.1 but has the wrong icon and won't run. :eek:

the package contents now is:
Code:
 /Applications/Mail.app/Contents
total 24
-rw-rw-r--  1 root  admin  2830 Dec 14 22:25 Info.plist
drwxrwxr-x  3 root  admin    58 Dec 30 18:48 MacOS
-rw-rw-r--  1 root  admin     8 Sep  8 08:41 PkgInfo
drwxrwxr-x  6 root  admin   160 Dec 14 22:24 Resources
-rw-rw-r--  1 root  admin   470 Dec 14 22:31 version.plist

/Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS:
total 1120
-rwxr-sr-x  1 root  mail  569752 Dec 30 18:48 Mail

/Applications/Mail.app/Contents/Resources:
total 32
drwxrwxr-x  3 root  admin    58 Dec 14 22:24 English.lproj
-rw-rw-r--  1 root  admin  5140 Dec 14 22:24 Message.scriptSuite
-rw-rw-r--  1 root  admin    60 Dec 14 22:23 TickleApplication
-rw-rw-r--  1 root  admin   668 Dec 14 22:23 findEmailer

/Applications/Mail.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj:
total 8
-rw-rw-r--  1 root  admin  324 Dec 14 22:24 InfoPlist.strings

Any idea how i can get Mail.app back?
I've tried the "rm ~/Library/Preferences/.LS*", log in & out as suggested above, i've scoured the install and restore CDs (i don't want to reinstall my whole OS please!), searched apple.com etc etc

Any further suggestions gratefully recieved,
yours
_

Thanks testuser!
I couldn't find the Package Repair thing you talk about - not on the install X 10.1 CD, in the developer stuff, on versiontracker.. so gave up.

I did find Pacifist however which is exactly what i was after and i now have Mail.app 1.1 running again happily.
Many thanks

Back