Mail Bollox

andychrist

devil's plaything
For the past couple of days I have not been able to send email to any recipient other than myself with my macosx.com account. I am using Apple Mail and Verizon is my ISP. Haven't changed any settings, but would like to verify them. What should my server settings and authentication be for this IMAP account?

ThanX in advance...

Attachments

• Mail  Error.jpg
    Mail Error.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 10
Thanks Bob: Which port-- the server port under Server Settings... or Port under Advanced? Anyway tried each and still mail won't go through. Has Digital Crowd changed anything recently?

(Under Server Settings, Server Port is 25, Authentication is None and Password is blank. Under Advanced, Port is 143 and Authentication is Password.)

Now all of a sudden a dialog box has popped up asking me for my password for macosx.com. Could my Mail plist files be corrupted again?

Just the Server port setting.

If it's only the macosx.com account, delete that account and set it up again.

If you have any mail stored for that account, save it first, deleting the account will also delete any mail for it.

Oh no, won't deleting the account lose all my rules and everything it learned in training mode? Noooooo.... :( :( :(

Not sure as I don't use Mail, but in the ~/Library/Mail folder there is the MessageRules.plist.

Maybe moving that to the desktop to save it. Not sure if deleting the account would also delete the rules.

You could also try renaming that account and setting up another account for macosx.com

Deleting the account did not delete the rules, but it did not solve the problem when I recreated the account either. Also renaming a Mail account does not allow you to set up another one with the same user and server but that is kinda moot right now. Also when I recreated the account it did not save the Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) but showed "None." Something is screwy somewhere.

I have had the same issue w/ verizon for a number of weeks. I can only receive mail, and sending is spotty at best. I generated new accounts to no avail, spent friutless hours on the phone with the Verizon Braintrust, and had two trips to the Genius bar at my local Mac store. What I finally learned is that "Verizon doesn't officially support the Macintosh Mail software". This from the genius bar. Apparently it is not a new problem, and there are plenty of folks with the same problem. My account worked fine for my first 3 years of DSL w/ Verizon, but only in the past few months has this been such a problem. I am now on my 2nd Macbook pro, and am still having the same problem. My guess is that somebody upgraded software in the chain, and didn't care to make it compatible with the other...?

If anyone has resolved this problem, I would love to hear about it- as I am about to ditch Verizon for a different DSL provider.

Well I was finally able to resolve my problem. Somehow the Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) settings I had entered in Mail got altered, and setting up new account automatically did not correct them. After manually altering the settings again to conform with the example here on the macosx.com email set-up guide, I am once more able to send mail.

Still, this is the second time in as many months that Mail has gone haywire on me; on the previous occasion I had to dump all my mail plists and start from scratch. Really think this has to do with some instability of the 10.4.8 update on my system, as Safari has also become quite flakey for me since then... don't see how my ISP could be responsible for my settings getting corrupted. Anyway I would seriously question the statement that Verizon does not support Apple Mail; the problem is more like no one at Verizon's Mac help line seems to have the least familiarity with OS X. :rolleyes:

Back