Mail Crash

TDURAND

Registered
When I try to open Mail, it starts to open for about 5 seconds, then crashes. That's it. That's as far as I can go. I've repaired permissions and zapped pram.
My system:
800 mhz FP iMac, mac os x 10.9.3
Thanks for any help.
Tom Durand

i knew more about computers in 1967 than I do now, when my organisation bought it's first computer. It took several floors and had a 16k memory.
I was never hands on until after I retired in 1988. Now I use computers for images of travels and family, I am writing a book and use the net and email frequently. I have not been able to learn the computer lingo and have difficulty in interpreting and following instructions.
I live in paradise, or a near copy of it, in Tasmania, an Australian state which is an island with 500,000 people, a little to the South of Eastern Australia.

TDURAND said:
When I try to open Mail, it starts to open for about 5 seconds, then crashes.

It sounds unfortunately like Mail has one little corrupted thing which needs to be thrown out. Time for process of elimination. Throw away the following files, one by one, and try opening Mail each time afterwards.

Users/your name/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist

Users/your name/Library/Caches/Mail/(trash everything in this folder)

Users/your name/Library/Mail/MessageRules.plist

Users/your name/Library/Mail/OpenedAttachments.plist

Users/your name/Library/Mail/SmartMailboxes.plist

Users/your name/Library/Mail/Signatures/SignaturesByAccount.plist

Users/your name/Library/Mail/DefaultCounts

Users/your name/Library/Mail/Envelope Index

Let us know if none of this helps, you may need to reinstall Mail from your system disc.

having the same problem. mail quits when it tries to check mail online. i erased the Caches/mail. now i want it back. didn't realize that it was my entire inbox. not good. how do i get that back?

Back