mail doesn't remember passwords!!

muthax

Registered
Hi there all, I did a jaguar upgrade (the one that does a clean install but keeps your home dir and settings) on my titanium just to discover that not only I have to input my mail passwords everytime I launch Mail, but I even cannot input my password in the iDisk section of preferences.Or better I can input it but it's ignored...it is clearly a problem with my install but I don't want to reinstall everything from scratch.anyone seen this? know where to find the conf files to fix this?
cheers

Same here....

Jag install on G4 500 Dual. Archive and Install (keep Home etc). Seemed to be fine. But MS Entourage (email) kept asking for passwords. Then .Mac preference pane would forget the passwords too. And clicking any Authenticating locks in Preferences wasn’t working. It worked a few times – then stopped.

Turns out the keychain had locked itself randomly. Open Keychain app and click unlock – no go. Useless. Log out – OS X drops out to the Console – very scary.

Force restart – or “Sudo reboot”.

Everything fine. Until I go online and use email....

So I reinstalled with Archive again. Still same. Then replaced my Keychain (backed it up, then deleted it and tried that). Same problems.

So I made a new Admin user. Moved all my files over – took ages to sort out all the permission problems that come from that – had to burn CDs of most of it then copy them back to the new user. Deleted the old user.

This means a fresh Admin user for me....

Keychain hadn’t gone wrong for a whole day....

Then it started playing up again.

I reinstalled Office X. And that’s where I’m up to now.

Overall Jaguar is ace. But weird problems have been occurring randomly. Adobe InDesign stopped having Undo’s. No reason. A restart fixed it. I can’t find anything wrong with the system.

The keychain problem hasn’t occurred today and I’ve been trying to make it happen. So.... I can only hope I’ve fixed it.

In 10.1.5 I had no problems at all. Everything just worked – all day long. Whatever I could try to do it would never go wrong – nothing ever (except Sleep – which works in Jaguar!!). Jaguar so far isn’t as reliable. Except Jaguar is MUCH faster – I love the speed. InDesign is noticeably faster, as is Photoshop and the Finder...

Seems I’m not alone with jaguar problems. I also have all my apps set up how I like them – and don’t want to erase my drive. It’s very very clean at the moment – I’ve backed up everything and defragged so erasing wouldn’t take too long (5 hours ish??) – but since others who have put in the time still have problems I might just wait until 10.2.1. I suggest everyone do the following and watch out for problems if the little Keychain lock icon locks itself.....

Go to: Applications > Utilities > Keychain Access

Then go to View Menu and select > Show Status in Menu Bar.

I hope these problems go away! Restarting every now and then isn’t too bad – it only takes 30 seconds now so it’s ok. But we’ve got so used to no problems with 10.1.5 that it’s unacceptable!!!

See this thread... more info:
http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=149315#post149315

Back