Mail files overwrite others sans warning

tagraves

Registered
Sorry about the French. Character limit.

I used to use Entourage, and now use Mail. But I've discovered one quirk that I don't understand, after nearly 20 years of Mac use.

What I do is drag all the emails from my clients (I work with about 60 different new clients a year) OUT of the application window and in to folders specific to each client on another drive. This way I don't end up having a humongous inbox, and I've always been one to keep my data separate from my application in case the app develops a problem.

Because so many people are lazy about replying, I end up with many messages that have the same subject line. When I was using Entourage, if I dragged a fresh email over in to that client's folder, it would create a new filename (adding a _1, or _2, etc..) automatically and thus I'd keep all my emails organized. For instance, I have my 2008 clients all in one folder, and as I clean up my inbox I can just drag messages in to their respective folders without concern because I know they'll just create new filenames if there's a conflict.

But in Mail, if I drag a mail message over to a folder, it simply overwrites the existing file if the new message has the same subject line, without any warning. Thus I lose emails. Very frustrating. And even weirder, there's not even a warning that pops up, as happens when you have any other naming conflict throughout the OS and in many other apps.

I know I can do a "save as" but that means I have to navigate AND rename every time I perform that step. Takes much more time.

Is there a script or something I can do in Terminal (and I am not versed in either) to replicate the way Entourage does it? It really would mean a great deal to me, and I hate to even think of switching back, because Mail does do some other cool things I like.

Thanks in advance.

MacPro 3.2 ghz, 10 gigs RAM, OS 10.5.6

Your problem is odd because my installation of Mail has no compunction about keeping duplicate emails in the same folder. Is there anything unusual about your messages?

It appears to be an issue of keeping mails in a finder folder rather than a folder in the mail application itself. If I create folders in Mail, I'm fine, but I don't really want to do that (mostly just because of habit and prior filing methods) but it's when I take them out of Mail and store them separately that I have problems.

It appears to be an issue of keeping mails in a finder folder rather than a folder in the mail application itself. ...
MacOS X does not support have more than one file with a given name in a single folder. If you want to save your messages as files, then you need to give them unique names.

Back