mail form -how do you do it

Harvestr

Registered
I need someone to tell me how to make a form where the viewer fills it out then it is sent to me as email to my set e-mail address.

THIS MUST EXPLAIN EVERYTHING, I MEAN EVERYTHING!!!!!
I am not a programmer so if you leave out any details and assume I can mentally fill in the blank, I can not and will not. If you can tell me exactly what I need to type and what files are needed where with what extensions, that would rock.

My form layout is:

First name Last name
Company e-mail address

message (this will be the large text area that they type their message in)

I pray someone can tell me how to do this since every site I've tried that states it is for beginners is written by some pro that leaves out way too much info and in the end leaves me once again lost and pissed off.

Do you know anything about HTML? do you want it to be processed by the server, or sent by the client?

I recommend you go to www.bravenet.com and sign up for an account... they have lots of free web tools, including a form mailer that you can customize to your site without having to know too much code to make the form.

Pengu, I know HTML fairly well, just not scripting. Server or client side, whatever works.

Arden here is what I go from bravenet.com

<html>
<head>
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
</head>

<body>
<div align=center>
<div style="border:1px solid #999999; width:255px; margin-bottom:5px;background-color:#F2F4FA;">
<form action="http://pub6.bravenet.com/emailfwd/senddata.php" method="post" enctype="multipart/form-data" style="margin:0px;">
<div style="background-color:#DBE0F5; padding:3px; font:12px arial; color:black;"><b>Online Contact Form</b></div>
<div style="padding:10px; font: normal 12px Arial; text-align:left;">What is your name?<br />
<input type="text" name="name" size="34" style="width:230px;" /><br />
Where are you from?<br /><input type="text" name="where" size="34" style="width:230px;" /><br>
E-mail address?<br /><input type="text" name="replyemail" size="34" style="width:230px;" /></div>
<div align="center">
<input type="submit" name="submit" value=" Send ">
<input type="hidden" name="usernum" size="1" style="border: 0px solid black; height: 0px; width: 0px;" value="430389185" /><input type="hidden" style="border: 0px solid black; height: 0px; width: 0px;" name="MAX_FILE_SIZE" value="2000000"><input type="hidden" style="border: 0px solid black; height: 0px; width: 0px;" name="cpv" value="2" />
<input type="reset" name="reset" value=" Clear "></div>
</form>
</div>
</div>

</body>
</html>

My question on this - how the heck do I customize this form to send the data to my email adress. Nowhere in this code is there any reference of any email address. This is what I'm talking about on other sites when I say they don't explain anything. If this page references another file ("http://pub6.bravenet.com/emailfwd/senddata.php") then maybe the person giving me this form should tell me what this script says. See, it leaves out 50% of the whole thing. What the hell?

You want to make sure you have the email address included in the processing script and not have it passed in by the HTML email form. If you have it passed as a parameter to the processing script on the server then a spammer can setup an easy script that sends fake email addresses to your server and have the server send spam for the spammer.

Basically what you would want is an html form with a reply address that you can reach them at, their name & a comment field, then that form will submit to a script on the server. The script will know what address to send the email to because it will be part of the script.

I could write a simple formmail script in PHP for you if you would like and I will send it to you and tell you what it does.

You'd need to make an HTML form so I know what fields you want emailed to you.

All form mail scripts are basically the same. They take whatever you have in the HTML form from what you pass to it in a HTTP GET or POST and email it to an address.

Back