Mail 'hangs' when trying to view .eps email atachments

McSedgley

Registered
Hello there. I've had this problem for a while - whenever i receive a .eps file as an email atachment, mail just hangs as it appears to be trying to convert he .eps into .pdf. I then have to force quit.

Is there a way round this? doesn't matter if i cant see the files in mail, i just want to be able to save them to my desktop. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with file size.

What kind of EPS file is causing the problem? I generated a test EPS from Photoshop, encoded ASCII85 / TIFF 8-bit, and Mail did not try to preview in the message pane. Screenshot attached.

screen-1.gif

To bypass the issue, you may ask the sender to zip the file first.

Photoshop EPS files are not "real" EPS files. He's talking about real vector-based EPS graphics. My Mail.app takes a fair amount of time to convert the EPS files to PDF, but doesn't crash (and maybe yours wouldn't either if you don't close it yourself...). But I guess this is one thing Apple has really got to nail down. Either they should forget about trying to convert these in the mail message's window or make it fast enough to be useable.

Thanks for the reply, and (sort of) glad to know its not an isolated problem. My way round it is to download the file from my webmail (i dont empty the box through the mail app.) But apple should really sort that one, its been happening to me for ages. Maybe im just impatient?

Back