Mail hogging the processor?

rokstar

Registered
I noticed today that for some reason Mail was eating up around 90% of my processor power... and it isnt even doing anything! I tried quitting the program and restarting it, but it just keeps on using up almost all of the processor. Any experience with this? Thanks,

Rok

Yes I saw this when someone sent me an email with a HUGE attachment. As I recall it was in the vicinity of 500 MB. I eventually went online using the webmail access to my account and deleted the file.

I just read on MacFixit that a strange Mail bug was causing Mail to eat 100% of the CPU cycles that was apparently related to the daylight savings time switchover. Apparently the bug "fixed" itself around midnight in each time zone. I am quite confident that Apple has been apprised of the glitch!

Yeah, this morning, Mail seems to be normal, so maybe it did have something to do with the time switch, although that sounds very very bizarre. I was sure it had something to do with the widget redrawing (do they call them widgets in macos?) because as soon as I clicked on a menu and kept it open for a while (or opened preferences etc), it went to normal operating "temperature". Strange.

I had that too, One of the beauties of the G5 systems, is u can actually hear something is hogging CPU cycles and making my fans spin like hell! :D

I guess that's rather a bug than a feature, NeYo. For example if you work with sound, it can be big, big, big trouble. ;)

True - But for me its kinda cool, i know when i've got something up, and i can fix it there and then. But yeah i can understand what you mean. Saying that, I'd imagine most Studio's would keep their PowerMac's hidden away, because a hung app, or a app grilling the CPU's do draw the fans pretty loud!!

Back