Mail Issues

eimilia

Registered
Re Mail, initially when I tried to delete I was getting this compaction error/disk may be full message instead and then I googled that error and was able to follow this thread for my Mail troubles: http://www.macosx.com/content/faq.php/q135/Mac-Osx--Mail-Problems.html
I think I tried too hard to delete e-mails, and then it just no longer let me in, It would open, ask questions like do I want to import another mail box and whether i'd like to see the new features but no matter what I said, it just shut down before I could get in. Following your thread, I was able to get in the back door and delete the "MessageSorting.plist" like Jackie did. Like her, I did not have the backup file. This enabled me to get back into my Mail. Hooray! But I find I still can't delete e-mails. I've been trying the Norton disk doctor as well as running the disk utility.

A note Re the browser: when I could not get into mail, i started having problems with Safari as well. Upon opening, I'd get consecutive errors that say there are problems with my bookmarks. Luckily it opens after that, but it's right, I can't save a new bookmark. Also, when I type in query fields, like street/address info on the Yahoo! map page, or type in my ZIP code to find a store location on the Target site, Safari shuts down. Actually I've not tested it this time around so this problem may have been fixed... I'm afraid to lose my spot here!

A note Re the desktop, when I had the big problems with Mail and Safari, I restarted a lot, and my desktop lost all my preferences. It would not let me reset them. However now I am strangely able to add new preferences.

About my Mac: it's a powerbook circa 2001 approx, running Mac OSX version 10.2.8. Memory 768, Processor: 550 MHx PowerPC G4. I'm not sure how to find out how much memory I'm using.

Hope you have some ideas for my Mail program. Thanks very much!
Amy

The first thing I suggest you do is go into /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and run a "Repair Permissions" on your drive.

thanks. i've been using the disk utility nearly every day now and i suspect that helps as things are closer to normal more or less. i'd used it a year ago and had forgotten about it till now... do you think all these problems were due to the computer's age and the face my hard drive is so full? is a hard drive and disk the same thing? here is my hard drive:

capacity: 18.63 GB
available: 884.19 MB
used: 17.76 GB

My understanding is that it's always a good idea to keep at least 10% of your hard drive empty (but I'm happy to be corrected!) so I would certainly try to free some space if you can. It should certainly speed things up!

A hard drive / hard disk is the same thing...

Good luck... :)

thanks. i think i have some applications on there that don't get used. i think there is something on there called flash that i don't use. does anyone know how to see whether music files are taking up a lot of space?

You need to keep at least 15% of free space on your drive, yours has less than 2% free.

eimilia said:
thanks. i think i have some applications on there that don't get used. i think there is something on there called flash that i don't use. does anyone know how to see whether music files are taking up a lot of space?

If you're using iTunes you can see how much space your music files are using by opening iTunes and then looking at the information at the bottom of the window...

:)

Maybe! ;)

You could buy an external hard drive (they're not expensive nowadays) and use that for your iTunes Library. That's what I did with mine when it got too big and it works fine.

It also an easy way to free up space on your computer's HD and you could use it to backup your machine too!

Good luck...

:)

Back