Mail "New Message": no new window

cryocooler

Registered
Sometimes, when clicking on the "new message" icon in Mac Mail (Leopard 10.5.8, Mail v3.6), no new message window pops up. Clicking several times, no window, so I quit the application and then restart the application. Then I discover in the drafts folder a number of blank messages equal to the number of clicks on "new message" that I had previously done. This only happens occasionally.

I have tried deleting the mail preference file, fixing permissions. Since the problem occurs only intermittently, it is never clear whether these have temporarily fixed the problem or not. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!

Try using the free download trial of "Mercury Mover" to see if Mail is creating a window that's on the virtual desktop screen but beyond the range of the portion you can see of it on your display. Get it working first for windows you can see, then the next time the missing window annoyance occurs see if you can use that to make the window visible.

See: http://www.heliumfoot.com/mercurymover/

Another hint: When the window is supposedly visible, check the "Windows" menu on the menu bar at the top of the screen to see if a window with the expected name exists. If so, then it's likely just hiding from you. If not perhaps that will give you some more clues to leave us.

Good luck!

Back